Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to open recently downloaded apps

Since about early December 2020, I have been unable to open newly downloaded apps. I download, start the .dmg file and app is placed in Applications folder. Dbl-click the app. Icon appears in my dock, then nothing. Rt-click the dock icon and the window says 'force quit'. I reinstalled Catalina last week with no change. Happens to 'small apps' (e.g. CleanMyMac or AppCleaner) or 'big apps' (e.g., Luminar AI and Topaz Studio; both are photo editors). No amount of restarts or reinstalls have worked. Customer assistance is stumped. Our Apple store is closed (pandemic) and the local Apple accredited repair shop is taking service reservations for April and beyond.

Any ideas what's going on and how to fix?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 2:38 PM

Eau Rouge;

Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestions.

1. i do have another account on my laptop (for a big statistical package only). Tried to run the .dmg files. Same outcome.
  2. got rid of CleanMyMac. I had tried to install it weeks ago, but the same problem kept me from being able to open and run it.
  3. Restarted laptop in safe mode. Tried to install one of the photo editor .dmg files. SUCCESS! Then ran the .dmg files for the rest of the photo editors (4 total). Each was installed successfully. Restarted laptop (not in safe mode). Clicked on each of the photo editors apps (each opened) and then opened an image just to make sure I was fully 'in'. SUCCESS!
  4. But not all is perfect. There is this big open access stats package (called R). To run it requires significant coding skills, but there is an overlay app to use R without having to code (RStudio). Tried the same process. Run the .dmg while in Safe Mode then try to open it after a restart. No go. Still get 'force quit'. I'll go back to the RStudio webpage and download again. Then run the .dmg while in safe mode and see if I can open it while still in safe mode.

Regardless . . . your guidance was light years ahead of tech support for the apps. Thanks so very much. Hopefully I'm fully back in business.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 2:38 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Eau Rouge;

Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestions.

1. i do have another account on my laptop (for a big statistical package only). Tried to run the .dmg files. Same outcome.
  2. got rid of CleanMyMac. I had tried to install it weeks ago, but the same problem kept me from being able to open and run it.
  3. Restarted laptop in safe mode. Tried to install one of the photo editor .dmg files. SUCCESS! Then ran the .dmg files for the rest of the photo editors (4 total). Each was installed successfully. Restarted laptop (not in safe mode). Clicked on each of the photo editors apps (each opened) and then opened an image just to make sure I was fully 'in'. SUCCESS!
  4. But not all is perfect. There is this big open access stats package (called R). To run it requires significant coding skills, but there is an overlay app to use R without having to code (RStudio). Tried the same process. Run the .dmg while in Safe Mode then try to open it after a restart. No go. Still get 'force quit'. I'll go back to the RStudio webpage and download again. Then run the .dmg while in safe mode and see if I can open it while still in safe mode.

Regardless . . . your guidance was light years ahead of tech support for the apps. Thanks so very much. Hopefully I'm fully back in business.

Feb 9, 2021 1:36 PM in response to RetiredDookie

Just because it is not opening apps does not mean you have to take it in for repair.

Uninstall CleanMyMac immediately this app will cause more problems to your mac

than any benefits it pretends to perform. Get full uninstall instructions from the

developers of the app.

Have you tried creating another user with admin privileges and seeing if the apps will open

on that account.

Have you tried a Safe Mode restart.

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support Safe Mode takes a long time to start up, so be patient.

unable to open recently downloaded apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.