Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I manage individual messages in a conversation in iPadOS 14.4?

The repeated changes to the UI in Mail are very irritating. First clicking on the top message of a conversation in the navigation pane would expand a list beow it where one could manage the individula messages. Then it didn-t expand anymore; one had to look carefully for a tiny „>“ in the upper right hand corner to expand the individual messages. Now even that is gone! How can I manage individual messages in a conversation in iPadOS 14.4?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 12:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 3:04 AM

I already found out how to do this myself and tried to post my findings yesterday. Unfortunately, when I tried to post on my iPad, the page hung, and is still displaying the rotating circle now, over 24 hours later. Fortunately, I can still faintly read the text of my reply, which I transcribe here on my PC:

The little ">" in the circle in the navigation pane is back. Perhaps this is the result of my having meanwhile completely shut down and restarted my iPad. I also discovered by accident that the reading pane now supports some actions on individual messages in a conversation. Swiping an individual message to the right allows you to mark or unmark it as read. Swiping it to the left revels options to forward, flag or delete the message.

The links you recommend are of limited use. The first one is no help at all. The second one at least mentions the use of the ">" in the navigation pane, but neither mention the options in the reading pane, which are more ppwerful and easier to use.

Thanks anyway for your response.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 3:04 AM in response to Eric--F

I already found out how to do this myself and tried to post my findings yesterday. Unfortunately, when I tried to post on my iPad, the page hung, and is still displaying the rotating circle now, over 24 hours later. Fortunately, I can still faintly read the text of my reply, which I transcribe here on my PC:

The little ">" in the circle in the navigation pane is back. Perhaps this is the result of my having meanwhile completely shut down and restarted my iPad. I also discovered by accident that the reading pane now supports some actions on individual messages in a conversation. Swiping an individual message to the right allows you to mark or unmark it as read. Swiping it to the left revels options to forward, flag or delete the message.

The links you recommend are of limited use. The first one is no help at all. The second one at least mentions the use of the ">" in the navigation pane, but neither mention the options in the reading pane, which are more ppwerful and easier to use.

Thanks anyway for your response.

Feb 11, 2021 7:54 PM in response to rsbrux

Hello rsbrux,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. It looks like you need help managing individual Mail messages in a conversation. We'll do our best to help.

The resource below can help:

Use the Mail app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Search for and view email on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You can also send feedback about this feature here: iPad

Cheers!

How can I manage individual messages in a conversation in iPadOS 14.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.