Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help needed to downgrade iMac High Sierra to Snow Leopard

Hi all,

**I would like to run iWeb on an old iMac**

I have an iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3

Memory 12GB 1333 MHz DDDR3

Graphics ATI Radeon HD4670 256MB

Currently running High Sierra Version 10.13.6

All working files have been removed from this iMac.

I would like to downgrade to Snow Leopard Mac OS X V10.6Retail which came on CD with the computer and then install iLife, as I want to run iWeb. I do have iLife V9.0.3 but I believe I will need iLife V11 (retail DVD) which I can get.

Can anyone please help me with clear instruction on how to do this? (I'm no computer whiz ;) ).

I did try a reboot holding down shift+Option+Command+'R' but it didn't do anything.

Unless of course it can't be done.

Help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 11:46 AM

In that case, unless you want to partition, it sounds like it is not needed, since you have a MacBook for day-to-day tasks.

Here is how you can erase the iMac, and install Snow Leopard:

1. Verify all files you want to save are stored somewhere other than the iMac. This process will erase EVERYTHING!
  2. Shut off the iMac.
  3. Turn on the iMac, and immediately press and hold the "option" key until you see a list of disks. Insert the Snow Leopard disk now.
  4. Select it in the list when it pops up.
  5. Once in the installer, go to Utilities (top menu bar) > Disk Utility.
  6. In Disk Utility, select your main Hard drive. It will be the top, non-indented drive. Its name will end in Media. Select this one.
  7. Go to the "Erase" tab.
  8. Input/select the following information; Name: Macintosh HD Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Scheme: GUID Partition Map.
  9. Click Erase.
  10. Quit/Close Disk Utility, and proceed with the Snow Leopard installer.
  11. The Mac will install Snow Leopard. You will then setup the iMac and install your iWeb applications.

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 11:46 AM in response to LizAussie

In that case, unless you want to partition, it sounds like it is not needed, since you have a MacBook for day-to-day tasks.

Here is how you can erase the iMac, and install Snow Leopard:

1. Verify all files you want to save are stored somewhere other than the iMac. This process will erase EVERYTHING!
  2. Shut off the iMac.
  3. Turn on the iMac, and immediately press and hold the "option" key until you see a list of disks. Insert the Snow Leopard disk now.
  4. Select it in the list when it pops up.
  5. Once in the installer, go to Utilities (top menu bar) > Disk Utility.
  6. In Disk Utility, select your main Hard drive. It will be the top, non-indented drive. Its name will end in Media. Select this one.
  7. Go to the "Erase" tab.
  8. Input/select the following information; Name: Macintosh HD Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Scheme: GUID Partition Map.
  9. Click Erase.
  10. Quit/Close Disk Utility, and proceed with the Snow Leopard installer.
  11. The Mac will install Snow Leopard. You will then setup the iMac and install your iWeb applications.

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 10, 2021 3:09 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I had iWeb working on an older mac that died about 2 years ago. It worked just fine with a web hosting company that I uploaded to for my website. I realise iWeb is outdated but if the computer can run iWeb and I have an internet connection why won't it work? (I think this is really a rhetorical question as you would know better than me.) I have a small cake decorating business that just needs a web presence to showcase my work (no cart needed). iWeb was perfect as I could manage my website on my Mac, update photos and just update the website as needed via the web host company. The business is not big enough to warrant paying monthly fees for an online website builder. Any suggestions?

Feb 10, 2021 3:31 PM in response to LizAussie

What I meant was sometimes is such old versions of Mac OS, internet services do not work right, due to the age of the OS. This could result in webpages not loading, or other built-in apps not receiving a proper internet connection, even though you are connected. Just know that this may be the case.

What maybe you should do instead is partition your internal hard drive, so there are two Mac OS versions you use, and switch between them. For example, on partition 1, you have High Sierra, which is used for all other computer purposes, and partition 2, you have Snow Leopard, used for iWeb. Sound good?

Cheers,

Jack

Feb 10, 2021 4:11 PM in response to Jack-19

That sounds quite reasonable. However, I'm not going to use this iMac for anything other than hosting iWeb. (I have a MacBook which I use on a day to day basis.) I've cleaned up the iMac and removed all the old files, apps & games. So, all I'll want to do is store some photos, use iWeb and refresh my web page via my web hosting co., then do you think I'll need to partition? (The only web page I'd need to go to is my web host, but then again I can do that on my MacBook.)

Help needed to downgrade iMac High Sierra to Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.