Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost photos

I recently backed up a old Mac onto a portable drive and opened it on my new Mac. my intention was to have the photos from the old Mac to combine with the new ones I already had on the new Mac, however it just erased all ones. howcan I recover thenewpics?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 2:54 PM

Hi

When you opened the old library it created a second library on your new mac containing your old photos. You can only open one library on your mac at a time (think of it like two documents in a word processor)

To choose which library to open, hold down the option key when you are starting photos. You should then see a list of available libraries (see screenshot).

Hopefully you will see your original library (with your new photos in) and the imported/converted library with your old ones.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 2:54 PM in response to avi2222c

Hi

When you opened the old library it created a second library on your new mac containing your old photos. You can only open one library on your mac at a time (think of it like two documents in a word processor)

To choose which library to open, hold down the option key when you are starting photos. You should then see a list of available libraries (see screenshot).

Hopefully you will see your original library (with your new photos in) and the imported/converted library with your old ones.

Feb 10, 2021 2:50 PM in response to Russ New Boy

it was an old photos library from my old Mac that I uploaded on a hard drive. When I opened it said “ updating photos library “ then when it was done none of the new pics I had were still there.

however update since I posted questions I figured I re import all the pics from my phone to my computer and when I did that all the old photos are gone now ?

very confusing

lost photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.