Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with 2/1/21 and 2/9/21 Mojave security updates - Mac Pro 5,1

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with an upgraded GPU so I could use Mojave. The last two Mojave security updates seem to be operating as usual, but then have resulted in my finder opening as photographed in the image below. I have had to do a hard shut down on both occasions in order to reboot. Luckily, having rebooted, the finder eventually came back as normal. However, my Adobe Creative Cloud app was damaged after the reboot of 2/9/21 update.

I have had no problems with prior Mojave security updates.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any thoughts on the cause? Has anyone found any solutions?

Thanks for your help. I hope this is not a problem I'll have to face with any additional security updates.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 7:57 PM

Restart in Safe Mode and see if the graphics look OK.

Safe Mode takes a long time to start up and when it is running your

your Mac may seem sluggish, this is normal as it is running on

bare bones including your graphics card but we want to see

if you still get these screen artefacts.

Restart normally if the screen artefacts return it could point to the graphics card failing.

Do you have another graphics card you can put in to see if that eliminates the graphics issue.

It may also be worth trying a NVRAM and SMC reset.

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac – Apple Support

Have a MacPro here with both Security Updates installed, no problems.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 7:57 PM in response to JGP

Restart in Safe Mode and see if the graphics look OK.

Safe Mode takes a long time to start up and when it is running your

your Mac may seem sluggish, this is normal as it is running on

bare bones including your graphics card but we want to see

if you still get these screen artefacts.

Restart normally if the screen artefacts return it could point to the graphics card failing.

Do you have another graphics card you can put in to see if that eliminates the graphics issue.

It may also be worth trying a NVRAM and SMC reset.

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac – Apple Support

How to reset the SMC of your Mac – Apple Support

Have a MacPro here with both Security Updates installed, no problems.

Feb 11, 2021 5:14 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for taking time to reply.

This issue has only happened when my Mac Pro 5,1 (mid 2010) tried to start during the 2 mentioned Security Updates. The screen came back in Normal mode after a hard shut down and reboot. It doesn't occur during normal, day-to-day boots. It did not happen on any prior Security Updates.

Since my Mac was upgraded in October 2020 with a new metal-capable graphics card, it will not boot into any of the normal boot modes — including Safe Mode. I had to replace my original graphics card in order to install Mojave on my "antique" Mac. I have read in a couple of user groups that I could still run Mojave, once installed, with my original graphics card in place. However, I have no idea whether I could do Security Updates for Mojave with the old card in place.

I could install the old card and restart in Safe Mode, but it seems pointless since it boots up fine during normal use anyway, and the problem has only occurred during the installation of the last two Security Updates.

After the first event, even though my Mac screen returned after re-boot, I did reset the PRAM and SMC.

My fear is that the hard shut downs during the Security Updates will damage software. I have seen some evidence of that with my Adobe Creative Cloud app, which I had to reinstall after the second event.

Thanks again.

Problems with 2/1/21 and 2/9/21 Mojave security updates - Mac Pro 5,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.