You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD vs Macintosh HD Data which to erase then install Big Sur

I am getting ready to do a clean install of Big Sur. Trying to do an erase, but I am confused by what I see in "Disk Utility". I see Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. Which volume do I erase then do a clean install of Big Sur. Looking at the communities, I am not seeing a good explanation of which volume to erase then install Big Sur. Is there a reference or can someone give me a more complete explanation?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 5:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 5:35 PM

rh10023 wrote:

I am getting ready to do a clean install of Big Sur. Trying to do an erase, but I am confused by what I see in "Disk Utility". I see Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. Which volume do I erase then do a clean install of Big Sur. Looking at the communities, I am not seeing a good explanation of which volume to erase then install Big Sur. Is there a reference or can someone give me a more complete explanation?

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices

if you are doing a clean install you erase/format the parent Drive— top of the device tree; Not the Container level, not the Volume level.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2021 5:35 PM in response to rh10023

rh10023 wrote:

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices

if you are doing a clean install you erase/format the parent Drive— top of the device tree; Not the Container level, not the Volume level.

Macintosh HD vs Macintosh HD Data which to erase then install Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.