Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DNS Profile "ignored" in iOS 14.4

Hi,

I have been using a DNS profile (NextDNS) for some time.

Yesterday I realized that, even while the profile was installed and selected and there were no changes to it, the DNSs were those of my ISP, not the ones specified in the profile. This is how it looks like:

A reboot of the device seemed to fix the issue, but there was no disconnection, I was at home using the same WiFi that I always use, didn't switch to mobile data (I have it turned off while at home) or got any error or notification (e.g.: profile is expired?).

Any hints on where can I start my troubleshooting? I'm using iOS 14.4 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max. I'm not using VPNs, and my device is not subject to any MDM.

I downloaded the profile, installed it, and that has been it.

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 5:22 AM

The issue seems to be in IKEv2 VPN profiles. Not all VPN install or even support IKEv2, but some do. With some VPN clients, the app can even install both an IKEv2 profile and a OpenVPN one.

Deleting the IKEv2 or making sure, if the VPN app allows, to use OpenVPN, when switching the VPN off, the DNS will revert back to the one specified in the profile, instead of using those of the ISP.

I have reported it as a bug in both the app site and Apple Feedback, I do think that's definitely not the behavior expected.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 5:22 AM in response to mabaeyens

The issue seems to be in IKEv2 VPN profiles. Not all VPN install or even support IKEv2, but some do. With some VPN clients, the app can even install both an IKEv2 profile and a OpenVPN one.

Deleting the IKEv2 or making sure, if the VPN app allows, to use OpenVPN, when switching the VPN off, the DNS will revert back to the one specified in the profile, instead of using those of the ISP.

I have reported it as a bug in both the app site and Apple Feedback, I do think that's definitely not the behavior expected.

DNS Profile "ignored" in iOS 14.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.