Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook "other" space filling my hard drive.

The "other" space on my MacBook is taking about 70G of the total 120G. My hard drive is full. I can't even update my system OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I don't have a manage button in storage. I've deleted all photos, almost all music, emptied trash. Deleted all files. What's going on?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 3:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 7:40 PM

The Manage button in Storage came in with later macOS's.

information in About This Mac> Storage is often wrong.

Try rebuilding the Spotlight index,

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac – Apple Support

Move the Macintosh HD (or the name you gave your disk) in to the Privacy panel.

Quit System Preferences.

Open System Preferences> Spotlight> Privacy highlight Macintosh HD and press the minus button.

The mac will start rebuilding the Spotlight index.

Check by clicking on Spotlight in the menubar and enter word, if it is indexing you should see a progress bar.

If re-indexing has not solved your problem then run this app, https://www.omnigroup.com/more

this will give an accurate account of the storage used. When the app has created its overview you can look at

the Users folder in the output and see what each user has stored, you can then delete files from there.

Do not delete any files or folders in any System or Library folders or any files you do not understand.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 7:40 PM in response to vixsta

The Manage button in Storage came in with later macOS's.

information in About This Mac> Storage is often wrong.

Try rebuilding the Spotlight index,

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac – Apple Support

Move the Macintosh HD (or the name you gave your disk) in to the Privacy panel.

Quit System Preferences.

Open System Preferences> Spotlight> Privacy highlight Macintosh HD and press the minus button.

The mac will start rebuilding the Spotlight index.

Check by clicking on Spotlight in the menubar and enter word, if it is indexing you should see a progress bar.

If re-indexing has not solved your problem then run this app, https://www.omnigroup.com/more

this will give an accurate account of the storage used. When the app has created its overview you can look at

the Users folder in the output and see what each user has stored, you can then delete files from there.

Do not delete any files or folders in any System or Library folders or any files you do not understand.

Macbook "other" space filling my hard drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.