Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an External Monitor to My Mac

I just purchased a new Mac and I'm trying to connect it to an external monitor. The Display menu in Settings does to include an Arrangement Tab. Any ideas what I should do?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 12:33 PM

Yeah, i think i can help you, AHeinz57. Should be ez to do. Your mac should have a Thunderbolt 3 ( usb-c) socket/ port on it, now i don’t know exactly what type/ kind of mac you have... or the model number... but if you look on the back of your Mac you should see something with a lightning bolt around it... that’d be your thunderbolt 3 port/socket. Good news is that it natively supports mini displayport with up to 5 k support. It’ll also do hdmi 2.0 with the appropriate cable/adapter.. just buy the appropriate one..... shut down your Mac, make sure the monitor is shut down or turned off as well, make the connection from Mac to monitor, then restart/turn on your Mac. Then restart/ turn on your monitor and pick the appropriate input on the monitor. Go to system preferences then displays and the monitor should show up as a name... eg “LG/Samsung xxxxxxxx” . Pick it and it should work, eg, you will see a picture/image on the monitor. About the only other things to be aware of is that the cable/adapter must support hdcp 2.x, and 4k, and pass thru audio.. and, if you hold down the option key and click, you will see “scaled for your monitor”... macs can do either 24 hz, 30 hz or 60 hz and thats it

good luck

john b

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 12:33 PM in response to AHeinz57

Yeah, i think i can help you, AHeinz57. Should be ez to do. Your mac should have a Thunderbolt 3 ( usb-c) socket/ port on it, now i don’t know exactly what type/ kind of mac you have... or the model number... but if you look on the back of your Mac you should see something with a lightning bolt around it... that’d be your thunderbolt 3 port/socket. Good news is that it natively supports mini displayport with up to 5 k support. It’ll also do hdmi 2.0 with the appropriate cable/adapter.. just buy the appropriate one..... shut down your Mac, make sure the monitor is shut down or turned off as well, make the connection from Mac to monitor, then restart/turn on your Mac. Then restart/ turn on your monitor and pick the appropriate input on the monitor. Go to system preferences then displays and the monitor should show up as a name... eg “LG/Samsung xxxxxxxx” . Pick it and it should work, eg, you will see a picture/image on the monitor. About the only other things to be aware of is that the cable/adapter must support hdcp 2.x, and 4k, and pass thru audio.. and, if you hold down the option key and click, you will see “scaled for your monitor”... macs can do either 24 hz, 30 hz or 60 hz and thats it

good luck

john b

Connecting an External Monitor to My Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.