Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice call with Siri without un-locking?

I have trouble from the last update ios 14.4 to call using Siri. Whenever I'm on my airpods, ie in the car driving, I ask, "Hey Siri, call Dad/Anna/Fred etc" and she responds back, "You need to unlock your phone first"

This is super annoying and having the pull up the phone to make call takeaway some of the features of the airpods in my view.

I have the settings to allow voice call from locked screen but still it doesn't work.

Apple, shapen up, this has been an issue for many users on many generations of iOS, you need to fix this!

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 12:36 PM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2021 9:06 AM in response to mikael108

Hello mikael108,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand being unable to use Siri to make calls on your AirPods or via your Car bluetooth as you're getting a message to unlock your iPhone. We'd be happy to look into this with you.

Just to clarify, which AirPods model are you using? Here's how to identify the model:

Identify your AirPods

Also, when you go to: Settings > Face ID & Passcode, does "Siri", and "Voice Dial" are toggled on? If not, please turn them on, and test again.

Please check out these helpful links:

Make and answer calls with AirPods on iPhone

Control access to information on the iPhone Lock Screen

Use Siri with AirPods on iPhone

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Voice call with Siri without un-locking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.