Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Install MacOS Mojave.app

I wanted to create a bootable installer on an external drive and I wanted Mojave on it. I got it from the app store and used createinstallmedia in terminal. After that I wanted to delete the installer. I moved it to the trash. Then I wanted to install it again on another drive because the other one was too slow. So I download Mojave again and repeated. I moved the installer to the trash and when emptying the trash, I got an alert box saying the installer was in use.

I tried 5 methods to delete it and I couldn't start the 6

th one.

1. Put the installer back and use delete immediately. – It asked me to get info and do something which I did do and then I got the same alert of get info.
  2. Move the installers to the drop box of another user and delete that user. – The file was still in /Users/thatuser/.Trash
  3. Deleting it then did the same thing as how it was when I did it in the beginning
  4. Use sudo -rm R /Users/thatname. That gave this weird thing "override rw-r--r-- root/wheel restrict" and some other stuff.
  5. Move the folder to an external drive and erase it. It couldn't move it, it just copied.
  6. Going into /Users/Sahasvat/.Trash/thatname/.Trash/Install macOS Mojave.app/Contents/SharedSupport, InstallESD.dmg is there. When deleting that it shows an alert saying that it is required by macOS. So I had to disable SIP, which is something I don’t want to do and I also couldn’t. When using command R during boot, instead of getting the utilities window, I see a progress bar, which goes around 20% and then 10%. Then I am in an interface with a window that says “examining volumes” in the center, restart with a left arrow, and something with a right arrow. It is very similar to the window when installing Catalina and Big Sur. The menu bar has apple logo with “Startup Disk…”, Restart, and shut down. There is “Recovery Assistant” near it which I assume is the app or utility running. The status menus have, Input Source, battery, and WiFi. I can’t disable SIP with this.

Some additional information:

both the installers aren’t openable

Both of them have the same DMG inside them

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 12:37 AM

Similar questions

19 replies

Feb 12, 2021 10:48 AM in response to Sahasvat_V

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try to delete the file from there.  Then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Deleting Install MacOS Mojave.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.