Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Giving my daughter her own Apple ID

Since I have switched on iCloud photos - needed due to storage limit on my phone - mine and my 14 year old daughters photos have merged.

In order to avoid this do I need to create an independent iCloud account for her?

If so I assume she will loose access to the photos attached to our joint iCloud and would only see them again if she signed out of her new account and into the existing one - is this correct?

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 5:46 AM

Yes. she should get her own apple ID.

When she signs out of your apple ID, she will get the option to keep images from iCloud photos if she has enough room on her phone.

If there is not enough space, you can send the images to her after the fact.

You might want to set up family sharing:

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

and ask to buy:

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Another thing to note is after she signs out of your apple ID, all the apps she has will still be connected to your apple ID, not her new one.

To solve this delete the apps and reinstall them with her own apple ID, this does not have to be done all in one go. And keep in mind that the app data might be lost in the process unless it is cloud-based.

Good luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 5:46 AM in response to Jembrock

Yes. she should get her own apple ID.

When she signs out of your apple ID, she will get the option to keep images from iCloud photos if she has enough room on her phone.

If there is not enough space, you can send the images to her after the fact.

You might want to set up family sharing:

Set up Family Sharing – Apple Support

and ask to buy:

Approve what kids buy with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Another thing to note is after she signs out of your apple ID, all the apps she has will still be connected to your apple ID, not her new one.

To solve this delete the apps and reinstall them with her own apple ID, this does not have to be done all in one go. And keep in mind that the app data might be lost in the process unless it is cloud-based.

Good luck!

Giving my daughter her own Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.