Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a iMac 27 " late 2013 that I would like to use as a second monitor for a new iMac 27" I just purchased ...... what is the best way to do it??

Using an older iMac (2013) as a monitor for a new iMac(2020) ---- how do I do It?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 11:36 AM

It cannot be done, the new iMac needs its own external display. Big Sur was the final nail in the coffin of Target Display Mode and no you cannot install an earlier version of Mac OS on your new Mac and no there are not any work arounds. There are third party wireless solutions, however, I cannot vouch for how well they work.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Pjstockmann

It cannot be done, the new iMac needs its own external display. Big Sur was the final nail in the coffin of Target Display Mode and no you cannot install an earlier version of Mac OS on your new Mac and no there are not any work arounds. There are third party wireless solutions, however, I cannot vouch for how well they work.

I have a iMac 27 " late 2013 that I would like to use as a second monitor for a new iMac 27" I just purchased ...... what is the best way to do it??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.