Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spinning wheel next to wifi icon

I have a Spinning wheel next to wifi icon...nothing running in the background. What does it mean, how do I stop it? new iPhone SE

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 2:11 PM

roam396 wrote:

I have a Spinning wheel next to wifi icon...nothing running in the background. What does it mean, how do I stop it? new iPhone SE

That’s a network activity icon; see https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/iphone/iphef7bb57dc/ios.

It means you have some network process running. One way to verify this is to enable Airplane mode while making sure WiFi is off. This should stop the icon from appearing.

Check battery usage to see apps/process using more background power.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2021 2:11 PM in response to roam396

roam396 wrote:

That’s a network activity icon; see https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/iphone/iphef7bb57dc/ios.

It means you have some network process running. One way to verify this is to enable Airplane mode while making sure WiFi is off. This should stop the icon from appearing.

Check battery usage to see apps/process using more background power.

Feb 13, 2021 2:43 PM in response to iW00

Wondering what the network activity could be? Turned wifi off, still cycles. Then turned airplane mode on and it stopped, but I can't use my phone then. I checked battery usage and Safari audio was high. I closed everything related to Safari and still cycles. Turned off background app updates. Found a note online to reboot. I did...stopped for a few hours, then started again.

Spinning wheel next to wifi icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.