Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash SMS message spam iPhone

I received this notification earlier. Of all the iphone I own, this is the first time I encountered this one. Should I be worried? Should I contact my SMS service provider? How did I receive this notification.

[Edited by Moderator] 

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 3:40 PM

That’s a so-called an SMS Flash message, which usually means it’s a scam.

SMS Flash message, not to be confused with Adobe Flash or the flashlight, etc.

Flash messages bypass the messaging-related apps. Intentionally.

More than a few carriers no longer even offer that particular SMS service, due to spam.

Reception of those messages can usually be disabled in SIM Applications in your iPhone Settings. That’s how you can shut these off. Or check with your carrier.

Delete it and/or ignore it, and get on with your life, and your iPhone is fine.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 3:40 PM in response to janxiene

That’s a so-called an SMS Flash message, which usually means it’s a scam.

SMS Flash message, not to be confused with Adobe Flash or the flashlight, etc.

Flash messages bypass the messaging-related apps. Intentionally.

More than a few carriers no longer even offer that particular SMS service, due to spam.

Reception of those messages can usually be disabled in SIM Applications in your iPhone Settings. That’s how you can shut these off. Or check with your carrier.

Delete it and/or ignore it, and get on with your life, and your iPhone is fine.

Feb 12, 2021 3:16 PM in response to janxiene

janxiene wrote:

I received this notification earlier. Of all the iphone I own, this is the first time I encountered this one. Should I be worried? Should I contact my SMS service provider? How did I receive this notification.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3898e79d-d628-4b5c-bbdb-b1b05b8c4590

Did you tap on the message at the bottom "why did I receive this message"?

Feb 12, 2021 3:25 PM in response to LACAllen

Upon checking my Messages app it is not there. So I am not sure how it came in.Is via SMS or is my phone infected? I also tried using a dummy account,device, and network to check on the email address, it seems that it is not existing. This is the first time I experienced that an iPhone has been infected by malware(assuming).

Flash SMS message spam iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.