Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2010 black screen after start up

Hi,

I am having trouble with my 2010 iMac.

when I boot up, the computer starts as normal and the after the start up sequence has completed, the High Sierra screen appears momentarily and then the screen goes black.

The computer is still running.

sometimes if you press the power button on the back repeatedly, the screen will flash on for a second but then immediately turn black?

Any ideas what’s causing this or how to fix it?

could it be sleep mode related??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 5:46 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue with the backlight inverter, backlight cable or display back lighting.

Two things that may prove the above listed issues are,

1. shine a flashlight on the screen and see if you can see your desktop.
  2. connect an external monitor to the iMac's Mini DisplayPort and see if that works.

Your best bet to have it tested and/or repaired, is to call around and make a service appointment with your local Authorized Apple Service Provider. It must be Authorized Apple Service Provider, because it is considered obsolete and too old for a regular Apple Store to work on.

see > https://locate.apple.com/mo/en

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 5:46 PM in response to Neale1

Sounds like a hardware issue with the backlight inverter, backlight cable or display back lighting.

Two things that may prove the above listed issues are,

1. shine a flashlight on the screen and see if you can see your desktop.
  2. connect an external monitor to the iMac's Mini DisplayPort and see if that works.

Your best bet to have it tested and/or repaired, is to call around and make a service appointment with your local Authorized Apple Service Provider. It must be Authorized Apple Service Provider, because it is considered obsolete and too old for a regular Apple Store to work on.

see > https://locate.apple.com/mo/en

iMac 2010 black screen after start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.