Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Widgets Dead or no longer supported for OSX?

Widgets are a great tool for keeping your work flow smooth, such as pulling up the Calculator while still seeing your work!

However, it seems as though Apple has killed the Widget ecosystem.

Apple's Own Weather App (powered by Yahoo) is dead, and trying to Download an alternative seems like there are no more options.

the "Weather Widget for Canada" isn't actually a Widget! it's an App!!

There is no filter in the App store to search for Widgets Only.

Even the WebClip Widget that was supposed to be simply a screen shot of a section of a website seems to no longer work.

It's a shame that Apple has moved on from this place. Having an Overlay work space can be very handy. like a heads up display. So much potential.

Apple, Adobe and really any Software company that uses Tool Pallets truly dropped the ball here.

Imagine if Adobe used Widgets and you could have EVERY Tool Pallet you MIGHT need right there, and then out of the way.

Oh well I'm glad the Calculator is there and still works. Would be nice it had a little update though. (but that would call attention to their forgotten child i guess) :(

Fingers crossed Apple revisits Widgets again.

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 9:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 2:20 PM

You can expect the future to continue to be disappointing if you require everything to work the same as it always has. Things change. For example, instead of using the calculator widget, you can do calculations in Spotlight. It is much more powerful than the old calculator widget.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 2:20 PM in response to cpage

You can expect the future to continue to be disappointing if you require everything to work the same as it always has. Things change. For example, instead of using the calculator widget, you can do calculations in Spotlight. It is much more powerful than the old calculator widget.

Feb 16, 2021 10:14 AM in response to cpage

cpage wrote:

I'm on Catalina for now. due to the 64 bit hurdle.

Catalina doesn't support 32-bit software any more than Big Sur does. If this is your only reason to avoid upgrading, may as well go for it.

But I'm glad I'll be able to pull up a Calculator with one click/swipe again.

There is no Calculator widget in Big Sur.

Feb 17, 2021 6:37 AM in response to etresoft

This is helpful. Very! it overlays and it even does simple conversions!

this is all I need.

Thank you

You are half right about me though. I Love the future and what it holds for progress. I'm excited about the M series chips, even if it means some processes may have to die to make it possible.

Some changes can be disappointing. Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old?

I know I'm not the only one missing certain "old tech", sometimes it just works better. (hardware/software)

Alas, Spotlight, although I had to turn off its shortcut COMMAND+SPACEBAR (because Apple simply won't talk to Adobe) seems to be a good–if not better–option than the Calculator because it leaves your calculation history there.

Next step, try to create a new Shortcut Key to Spotlight... if memory serves this isn't possible, as the original shortcut continues to activate once unlocked.

Thank you Creatures of the forest :)

Feb 17, 2021 6:46 AM in response to cpage

cpage wrote:

Next step, try to create a new Shortcut Key to Spotlight... if memory serves this isn't possible, as the original shortcut continues to activate once unlocked.

I don't understand your comment there. You can change the Spotlight shortcut in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Spotlight > Show spotlight search. I'm not a fan of keyboard shortcuts anyway. I only know a handful. I just access Spotlight from the menubar.

Feb 17, 2021 8:14 AM in response to etresoft

Spotlight uses Cmd+Space & ^+Cmd+space as keyboard shortcuts which are used in Photoshop, Illustrator Acrobat... as much if not more than Copy/Paste.

When it was first introduced, I tried changing the keyboard short to anything else, but it wouldn't matter what I used. If the Check Mark was on, regardless of the new shortcut, cmd+space would activate Spotlight. They BOTH had to be unchecked.

This was an issue for a long time. So I gave up on it.

I've played with it now and it seems to be fixed. :)

Are Widgets Dead or no longer supported for OSX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.