You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone not always ringing, going to Voicemail

iPhone 12 Pro Max. It doesn’t ring. My watch does. Verizon tech has reset connection, and it worked for about 30 minutes then quit. Next tech had me turn off WiFi calling, I also have a network extender on. Verizon 4 bars and WiFi 3. The ringer is on, DND Is off, just on scheduled, airplane mode off, sound on. I did have Verizon’s Call Filter on and disabled it, although the caller is in my contacts. The calls ring twice and go to Voicemail ( I don’t hear this, the caller does) . Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 6:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 6:06 PM

FIRST: Are the missed calls in Phone/Recents on the phone? If they are not the problem is in the network, because the calls aren’t getting to your phone. Contact your carrier: 

• check with your carrier that they don’t have a local outage, and that you didn’t have any settings that would have immediately invoked voicemail
  • check up on them at Down Detector - outages

If they are in Recents here’s what to check:

• Check the MUTE switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons. It should be towards the screen
  • Check the volume setting. With the Home screen displayed, press the VOLUME UP button on the left side of the phone. It’s above the VOLUME DOWN button.
  • Go to Settings/Do not Disturb. Turn it off if it is on. Also turn off Scheduled. With both off none of the other switches there matter.
  • Go to Settings/Phone. There’s a switch for Silence Unknown Callers. If it is on any calls from numbers not in your contacts will go directly to voicemail.
  • Also in Settings/Phone: Make sure Call Forwarding is off.
  • Go to Settings/Sounds & Haptics. Make sure there is a sound assigned to Ringtone.
  • Go to Settings/Screen Time/Communications Limits. Tap each of the 2 entries and make sure both are “Everyone"
  • Restart your phone-->RESTART your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2021 6:06 PM in response to jcp333

FIRST: Are the missed calls in Phone/Recents on the phone? If they are not the problem is in the network, because the calls aren’t getting to your phone. Contact your carrier: 

• check with your carrier that they don’t have a local outage, and that you didn’t have any settings that would have immediately invoked voicemail
  • check up on them at Down Detector - outages

If they are in Recents here’s what to check:

• Check the MUTE switch on the left side of the phone, above the volume buttons. It should be towards the screen
  • Check the volume setting. With the Home screen displayed, press the VOLUME UP button on the left side of the phone. It’s above the VOLUME DOWN button.
  • Go to Settings/Do not Disturb. Turn it off if it is on. Also turn off Scheduled. With both off none of the other switches there matter.
  • Go to Settings/Phone. There’s a switch for Silence Unknown Callers. If it is on any calls from numbers not in your contacts will go directly to voicemail.
  • Also in Settings/Phone: Make sure Call Forwarding is off.
  • Go to Settings/Sounds & Haptics. Make sure there is a sound assigned to Ringtone.
  • Go to Settings/Screen Time/Communications Limits. Tap each of the 2 entries and make sure both are “Everyone"
  • Restart your phone-->RESTART your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Feb 14, 2021 5:38 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I had read your tips earlier and appreciate your help! The techs are stumped. I had DND on for scheduled 9pm-8am. I just turned it off. (I hope I can use this feature) My Screen Time is not set up. Do I need to do that?

Sometimes I have messed calls logged and sometimes not.

Ive checked everything else and settings are ok.

Thank you!

Feb 14, 2021 7:07 AM in response to jcp333

Lawerence I meant I’d read your tips on other posts and tried to follow them.

Yesterday morning I worked with 2 Verizon techs. One said he sent a signal to reconnect to my phone( paraphrasing), the other had me turn off WiFi calling as I use an signal extender from them also. She said both on could confuse the phone. After that I had my husband call 6 times thru the day. It rang twice for me and the 4 missed calls went to VM after 2 rings , but did log. I’ve now turned off scheduled DND. My Screen Time is off. I had the Verizon add on Call Filter off 2 weeks ago because of this issue and yesterday I found it on again. So it’s off now.

I think that’s a better run down^🙂 thank you for the help!

Feb 19, 2021 11:24 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes it is of course. But in their defense the tech did sincerely apologize and speak to engineering. I live 10 miles outside a small town with mountains and water. The one tower we have for our large area is overwhelmed, but we are on their list for an additional tower.

Thanks again. Your advise did help me work with the Verizon tech.

Feb 20, 2021 3:37 AM in response to 6x6

Unfortunately no. WiFi calling did help some but I still had the un-logged, missed calls going to VM. And I couldn’t use the phone for calls at all in my kitchen. So Verizon sent the Network Extender and were still missing some calls but I can talk on the phone in my kitchen!

Thank you for the suggestion and help!

IPhone not always ringing, going to Voicemail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.