Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share lengthy iMovie

My iMovie project is an hour and 15 minutes long. It will not upload to YouTube. It will not transfer to the theater. It will not copy to the desktop. It is too long to upload to iCloud. As of now it only exists in projects, but viewing the movie in projects makes it susceptible to inadvertent changes. Why did all the functionality disappear?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 7:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 11:25 PM

The Theater feature is gone. You Tube has duration limitations but if you register you should be able to upload a 1hr and 15min movie. In any case, you can share to your desktop or external drive a movie of any length as long as you have sufficient available space on the destination drive.

If it is not sharing to the desktop then possibly you don’t have enough space or there is a corrupt preference. Check your space and delete preferences if necessary. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys.

— Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2021 11:25 PM in response to Lydexter

The Theater feature is gone. You Tube has duration limitations but if you register you should be able to upload a 1hr and 15min movie. In any case, you can share to your desktop or external drive a movie of any length as long as you have sufficient available space on the destination drive.

If it is not sharing to the desktop then possibly you don’t have enough space or there is a corrupt preference. Check your space and delete preferences if necessary. To delete preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys.

— Rich

Feb 14, 2021 6:58 PM in response to Rich839

Rich, first of all thank you so much for your immediate reply. Reading your reply I gave me back the will to live.

The solution could well have been a lack of space on my hard drive. I had 35 available GB, and to copy the movie to my desktop I needed less than 12GB. After you replied, I figured 35 still wasn’t enough space, so I used Clean my Mac to delete Theater. Theater always seemed a little redundant anyway. Doing that freed up over 50 GB, after which I was able to create an MP4 on my desktop, and from there I’ll be able to burn it to a DVD.

I still couldn’t figure out why YouTube was kicking me out. Then I realized that in utilities I have my battery set to power down after three hours. I changed that from three hours to “never“ and I also changed my screensaver not to run, just in case. I’m halfway through the upload to my YouTube account and fully expect it to work this time.

Thanks a million!!

Share lengthy iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.