Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iCloud storage for time capsule back up?

I want to set up back up for my iMac and want to know if iCloud storage can be used for back up like a Time Capsule

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 10:26 AM

No, according to Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support:

Connect an external storage device

Connect one of the following external storage devices, sold separately. Learn more about backup disks that you can use with Time Machine.

• External drive connected to your Mac, such as a USB or Thunderbolt drive
  • Network-attached storage (NAS) device that supports Time Machine over SMB
  • Mac shared as a Time Machine backup destination
  • AirPort Time Capsule, or external drive connected to an AirPort Time capsule or AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11ac)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 10:26 AM in response to ettefaghke

No, according to Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support:

Connect an external storage device

Connect one of the following external storage devices, sold separately. Learn more about backup disks that you can use with Time Machine.

• External drive connected to your Mac, such as a USB or Thunderbolt drive
  • Network-attached storage (NAS) device that supports Time Machine over SMB
  • Mac shared as a Time Machine backup destination
  • AirPort Time Capsule, or external drive connected to an AirPort Time capsule or AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11ac)

Feb 14, 2021 10:39 AM in response to ettefaghke

The answer is no. Even if it were possible......(it's not).....backups would take forever this way.

The simplest, fastest, and most reliable way to back up is connect a USB hard drive directly to your iMac.

Look for a hard drive this is at least twice the size of the hard drive on your Mac. For example, if the hard drive on your iMac is 1 TB, then you would want at least a 2 TB backup drive.

Can I use iCloud storage for time capsule back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.