Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

target display on m1

I used a late 2013 iMac as an external display with target display for my old work MacBook (2019 Macbook pro). Trying the exact same setup with my new work Macbook (2020 MacBook Air with m1

chip) gives me absolutely nothing - i hit cmd+f2 and nothing happens.

Any way to fix this?

PS. Also, any news on when MacOs is going to allow more than one external monitor with my model of macbook air?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 3:10 PM

To elaborate on the above (correct) answer, your hardware doesn’t permit more than one external display. That won’t change.

Per the MacBook Air tech specs:

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

And per Apple, no Mac from 2020 and later supports Target Display Mode with an old 27” iMac.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

This is the detail that matters here: ...You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display...

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 3:10 PM in response to ChironicHero

To elaborate on the above (correct) answer, your hardware doesn’t permit more than one external display. That won’t change.

Per the MacBook Air tech specs:

Video Support 

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and: 

• One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

• Native DisplayPort output over USB-C
  • VGA, HDMI, DVI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

And per Apple, no Mac from 2020 and later supports Target Display Mode with an old 27” iMac.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

This is the detail that matters here: ...You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display...

Feb 14, 2021 3:19 PM in response to ChironicHero

The iMac should just look like a DisplayPort monitor when the iMac is in Target Display Mode. So if you can get a DisplayPort to mini-DisplayPort cable from the M1 to the iMac, in theory that should work.

The key is getting the correct adapter plugged into the M1 Thunderbolt port so you get DisplayPort signals out.

As for multiple monitors. You can use a USB-to-HDMI adapter, and DisplayLink software to get additional monitors functions on the M1. See this YouTube demo with 6 external displays (5 of which are using DisplayLink software and USB-to-HDMI or USB-to-DisplayPort adapters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq_FyjcAULA

Feb 15, 2021 9:36 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

The Thunderbolt 1 and 2 connectors will ALSO do DisplayPort. They will also do USB. It all depends on the cable.

I have used a miniDisplayPort-to-miniDisplayPort cable between an iMac and a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt 2.

So yes, a newer iMac do not support Target Display Mode. And newer versions of macOS when running on a Mac that used to support Target Display Mode will not let the Mac enter Target Display Mode. But if the iMac supports Target Display Mode, and the operating system supports Target Display Mode, then if you have the right cable, the iMac looks like a DisplayPort monitor.

The Mac (in this case the M1) should not know, nor care that it is an iMac at the other end of the DisplayPort cable, even if the other end is a miniDisplayPort connector.

Unfortunately, my Target Display Mode capable iMac died in 2019, so I am not in a position to test this, especially with an M1 Mac.

Feb 15, 2021 3:33 PM in response to BobHarris

Yes, Thunderbolt ports on a Mac can be used with Mini DisplayPort cables and displays, but when connecting to a Thunderbolt iMac, such as the 2013, you have to use Thunderbolt adapters and cables. Mini DisplayPort won't work if the iMac being used as a display has Thunderbolt, even though the plugs will fit.

A 27" 2009 or 2010 iMac in Target Display Mode does act just as a Mini DisplayPort display, and can be used with any Mac, including 2020 M1 Macs, with a Mini DisplayPort cable, or USB-C to Mini DisplayPort cable.

A 2011 to 2014 iMac, though, does not appear just as a display, and the Mac using it has to do something special, which Macs newer than 2019 can't do.

target display on m1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.