Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"How to" perform common Excel actions in Numbers chart? Does one exist?

Hello,

After upgrading to Big Sur ALL my Excel spreadsheets have gone bonkers (upside down, backwards and overlapping). Scrolling down and then back up usually fixes small spreadsheets but larger ones remain a mess. Thus biting the bullet and moving to numbers. However,I am having great difficulty discovering how to do many routine actions and keep having to do searches to determine how. For example "Fill Down" was a button in Excel, but I can only find it under the Table Menu->Autofill Cells->Fill Down which is fine now that I know it is there. Another example is trying to figure out how to freeze rows and columns. I know Numbers can do everything I generally need once I learn how.

Does anyone know of a table or chart that provides comparative methods to accomplish such activities in Numbers and Excel?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 4:56 PM

Hi Monty,

Monty Hampton wrote:

Actually, I cannot determine how to fill identical content. If there is a number in it, it wants to perform some function (e.g. IMBC02 copies as IMBC03). Formulas seem to fill down fine.

I also discovered the fill down option available when you first select the cells of origin (orange dot dragging), but it seems to behave similarly.

Also, anyone know if one can add Fill Down to right click options?

Thanks.

Give Numbers a hint by filling in two cells with the same value.

Select both cells and drag the yellow dot (the Fill Handle) down

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 4:56 PM in response to EMH_OK

Hi Monty,

Monty Hampton wrote:

Actually, I cannot determine how to fill identical content. If there is a number in it, it wants to perform some function (e.g. IMBC02 copies as IMBC03). Formulas seem to fill down fine.

I also discovered the fill down option available when you first select the cells of origin (orange dot dragging), but it seems to behave similarly.

Thanks.

Give Numbers a hint by filling in two cells with the same value.

Select both cells and drag the yellow dot (the Fill Handle) down

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 14, 2021 5:38 PM in response to EMH_OK

Given a single example, Numbers will automatically increment a series of a series of single letters, a series of day names, month names, or a text string ending in a number.

Given two samples in consecutive cells, Numbers will do the same thing, incrementing by the amount set by the difference between the first two examples.

To place the same number into all cell of a column, enter the same number in two consecutive cells, select both cells, then drag the fill control down the column. The number values will still be incremented as they are filled down, but with an increment value of zero, the values won't change from row to row.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 14, 2021 3:54 PM in response to EMH_OK

Thanks.

Feb 14, 2021 4:38 PM in response to EMH_OK

Select the cell. Cmd C (copy). Select the cells where you want to paste it. Cmd V (paste).

I do not know how to add fill down to the right-click menu.

I do not know how to override Numbers' auto-incrementing when filling down/across with text/numbers it thinks should be incremented. I notice that Excel is wishy-washy on how it does it. In Excel, if you drag down on a cell (which is also called filling down), it does the same thing Numbers is doing but if you use the Fill Down menu command it does what you are asking.

Feb 14, 2021 5:06 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks for your prompt response. Thanks for the copy and paste suggestion. However, I do find fill-down to be fewer steps so prefer to do so when I can.

It has been my experience with Excel that (like many of Microsoft products) there are a number of ways to accomplish the same thing. Fill down can be performed by 1) selecting (the cell of origin) then drag down, 2) selecting (both the origin and destination cells) then selecting from a menu option and selecting (both the origin and destination cells) then clicking an icon from the home bar. In my spreadsheets clicking the cell then dragging down will repeat the same number (fill, not autofill) for both alpha-numerics and pure numbers. I wonder how our spreadsheets differ to cause the different behaviors?

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

"How to" perform common Excel actions in Numbers chart? Does one exist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.