Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgotten password to older MacBook Pro

I have forgotten my login password on my older MacBook Pro - can I use one of my other apple devices to unlock it?

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 8:28 PM

10 replies

Feb 16, 2021 9:02 PM in response to zilla34

Hi zilla34,

If the Mac was truly factory reset, you should have been presented with the macOS Setup Assistant when you powered on your Mac.

You might be able to reset the password on your 2010 MacBook Pro using these steps:

1. Start up in macOS Recovery: Press and hold Command-R as you restart your Mac. Release the keys when the Apple logo and a progress bar appear.
  2. If you're asked for administrator credentials, provide them to continue.
  3. At the very top of the screen, select Utilities -> Terminal.
  4. Type "resetpassword" without the quotes and hit Enter (Return).
  5. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset your password.

If you want to erase your Mac instead and start fresh, these steps can help: How to erase your Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Feb 15, 2021 8:25 PM in response to zilla34

Hi Zilla34

You must be keen to get going with your newly restored MacBook Pro! Sorry you still have difficulty.

Wondering if you've had a chat about access with the folks who cleaned & restored your MacBook Pro ?

If they weren't using your own log-in details, they may have forgotten to tell you how to log-in now ?

Failing that, you might want to look at password info. / access in the User Guide forMacBook Pro (2010)

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/system-information/syspr35535/mac

All the best!

Feb 15, 2021 7:42 PM in response to brbo

Hi, thank you so much. I thought this would work but unfortunately it didn't. Maybe it's because I've moved and the old MacBook Pro (2010) was hooked up to a different wifi? It works perfectly so any other advice would be very much appreciated. Before I moved I had the MacBook Pro cleaned and restored to "new" so I could use it solely for my business, I'm not sure if it's came back with a standard 'password' to actually get in the hint is " . " (ie a full stop?) Cheers and thanks heaps

Forgotten password to older MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.