Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

have done all of the recommended but under other in storage seems to be taking up room but I can't find what that is?

how do I fix this

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 7:16 AM

Other is a Collection of everything that does not fit into the Categories defined by iOS files, Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures Mail, Podcasts and Applications. It does basically include system files cache files, crash logs and the list is very extensive. Other can not be deleted of modified under Normal Circumstance and to do so would dangerous.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2021 7:16 AM in response to Sophiedt

Other is a Collection of everything that does not fit into the Categories defined by iOS files, Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures Mail, Podcasts and Applications. It does basically include system files cache files, crash logs and the list is very extensive. Other can not be deleted of modified under Normal Circumstance and to do so would dangerous.

Feb 15, 2021 9:34 AM in response to Sophiedt

Very good advise has been given above. Leave it alone. If you are short on storage, the simple solutions to purchase an external drive. They are now very reasonably priced, available in all sizes, easy to install with a USB cable which is normally provided, very compact and most of them do not even require external power. You may have to reformat it, though. A simple, easy solution.

Feb 15, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Sophiedt

Sometimes Other is Spotlight messed up.but...

We cannot trust the Storage report as to where the usage really is, 4 suggestions…

Have you emptied the trash lately?

Look for iOS backups…

/Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

OmniDiskSweeper shows you the files on your drive, largest to smallest, and lets you quickly Trash or open them.

https://www.omnigroup.com/more/

Purging local backups

Please note that although this doesn't affect your remote backup from Time Machine, this will get rid of the redundancy (at least until the next Time Machine backup) that a local backup disk will provide. If you need such redundancy or are worried about the recovery of your data then you would be best served to let macOS determine when to purge these files.

Start Terminal from spotlight.

At the terminal type tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates. 

Hit enter.

Here, you'll now see a list of all of the locally stored Time Machine backup snapshots stored on your disk.

Next you can remove the snapshots based on their date. I prefer to delete them one at at time. Once my "System" disk usage is at an acceptable level, I stop deleting but you can delete all of them if you want to reclaim all of the disk space.

Back at the terminal, type tmutil deletelocalsnapshots YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS , where will be one of the dates from your backup. This will be in the form of xxx-yy-zz-abcdef. Try to start with the oldest snapshot.

Hit enter.

Repeat for as many snapshot dates as required

http://www.thagomizer.com/blog/2018/03/27/cleaning-up-time-machine-local-snapshots.html

have done all of the recommended but under other in storage seems to be taking up room but I can't find what that is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.