Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac keeps rebooting after Big Sur update?

My MacBook Pro 2013 keeps rebooting after updating from Mac OS Catalina to Big Sur.

Current situation : Once MacBook is turned on, it goes to login screen and once I login, it restarts completely.

I've tried turning ON with holding Option button, however cannot see Machintosh HD on the boot list.

I've also tried multiple suggestions over internet but no luck.

Can someone please suggest me an option with which I do not have to erase everything before getting it to work properly?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 10:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 2:44 PM

For anyone with similar situation,

• I did try reseting NVRAM or PRAM with no luck
  • I tried going to recovery mode but my normal password would not let me through.

The solution that I ended up was,

• Created a bootable USB with MacOS Mojave(on a different computer)
  • Installed MacOS Mojave onto an external USB HDD using my laptop.
  • Boot normal into MacOS Mojave on the external USB HDD and mounted my internal drives using Disk Utility.
  • Surprisingly my password worked fine this time.
  • Copied all data to the external drive.
  • Removed the USB Drive(after shutdown) and installed Big Sur again on the internal drive by erasing the disk.
  • Installation finished without any error this time and then copied all data back.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 2:44 PM in response to m1sh4l

For anyone with similar situation,

• I did try reseting NVRAM or PRAM with no luck
  • I tried going to recovery mode but my normal password would not let me through.

The solution that I ended up was,

• Created a bootable USB with MacOS Mojave(on a different computer)
  • Installed MacOS Mojave onto an external USB HDD using my laptop.
  • Boot normal into MacOS Mojave on the external USB HDD and mounted my internal drives using Disk Utility.
  • Surprisingly my password worked fine this time.
  • Copied all data to the external drive.
  • Removed the USB Drive(after shutdown) and installed Big Sur again on the internal drive by erasing the disk.
  • Installation finished without any error this time and then copied all data back.

Mac keeps rebooting after Big Sur update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.