Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swithcing from IPhone 6 to SE - issue with passcode

Hello to everyone! I've just purchased IPhone SE and wanted to load the backup I created on IPhone 6. In the process, I was asked to type in a passcode from my old IPhone. The problem is that on IPhone 6 I have a passcode that is 4 digits long and the new IPhone asks me for a 6 digit one. I tried adding 00 before or after the passcode I have, which is definitely the correct one - I just used it on the old IPhone a second ago, but that didn't help. How can I fix this? I installed the back up but I got the message that any encrypted data from ICloud will not be available till I resolve the passcode issue.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 6:49 AM

Hi milena285,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with a new iPhone and passcode. It sounds like you need to input your old passcode into the new iPhone but it is asking for a 6 digit instead of 4 digit.

Have you tried resetting the iPhone 6 passcode? Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you have forgotten the passcode, you will need to restore the iPhone 6: If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled.

Have a fantastic day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 6:49 AM in response to milena285

Hi milena285,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with a new iPhone and passcode. It sounds like you need to input your old passcode into the new iPhone but it is asking for a 6 digit instead of 4 digit.

Have you tried resetting the iPhone 6 passcode? Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you have forgotten the passcode, you will need to restore the iPhone 6: If you forgot the passcode on your iPhone, or your iPhone is disabled.

Have a fantastic day!

Feb 17, 2021 7:03 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Hi MichaelB2019,

Thanks for the reply. I tried resetting the passcode on iPhone 6, but the iPhone SE kept giving me the message that the passcode is incorrect and that I typed it in too many times - the new passcode was correct for sure, I kept using it and still use it to unlock iPhone 6. Anyway, I ended up resetting the encrypted data in iCloud, luckily I didn't lose anything that I couldn't retrieve.

Cheers!

Milena

Swithcing from IPhone 6 to SE - issue with passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.