Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting photos

Over the last several months, I have deleting redundant photos and photos of poor quality, spending countless hours on the process. I got rid of about 3000 altogether. Recently I discovered that everything I ever deleted has been restored! What a waste of time! Why did that happen? Can I fix it (quickly)?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 10:46 AM

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Recents, Imports, albums or smart albums, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.    Without the Command key held down you'll be presented with a confirmation Yes/No window regarding the deletion. 

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File  Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2021 10:46 AM in response to Nick0661

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Photos, Memories, Favorites, People, Recents, Imports, albums or smart albums, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.    Without the Command key held down you'll be presented with a confirmation Yes/No window regarding the deletion. 

2 - click on the Recently Deleted smart albums in the sidebar.

NOTE 1: If you're using Photos 1.2 or earlier use the File  Show Recently Deleted menu option.

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you can opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

NOTE 2: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with the Delete key only deletes the photo from that item. There is no key combination that will delete a photo from a project and move it directly to the Recently Deleted smart album.

NOTE 3: deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection (the Photos window) or the All Photos window deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

Feb 15, 2021 8:15 AM in response to Nick0661

Hi,

Did you delete them or just remove them from the album you were viewing?

If you are viewing photos in album view, pressing backspace removes from album whilst CMD-backspace will delete the photo.

If you in library view then backspace will delete the photos. Slightly confusing I know.

You'll know if the photo has been deleted as you'll be able to see it in the Recently Deleted folder.

Deleting photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.