Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Screen Share not working as it did for intel Macs

Has anyone been able to successfully screen share to the new M1 Mini from an Intel Mac? (with the firewall enabled, but "Block all incoming connections not checked)

I cannot connect (via screen share) to my new M1 Mac mini from any intel Mac. I have the exact same settings and the Intels connect to each other just fine, so it is not a configuration issue. But, none of the Intels I have tried will connect (screen share) to the m1 unless I disable the firewall completely. Which is not smart and different from how it has always worked... When I enable screen sharing the firewall rule for screen sharing does appear and is "allowing connections". But it just won't work on the m1 from an intel.

If anyone with both types of Macs and could give it a try and let me know I would be very appreciative...

Screen share on m1 and connect to it from an intel with firewall on but "Block all incoming connections" not checked.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 6:29 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 18, 2021 10:25 AM in response to mingoslkd

Thanks mingoslwd.

I rechecked everything and all is correct as in the docs you suggested. No VPN's.

Intel Mac's screen share between themselves just fine. But, any Intel Mac I try, will not connect to screen share on the M1 Mac unless the firewall is completely disabled.

It seems to be that the firewall is blocking it even though I see the rule allowing explicitly allowing it. "screen sharing - allow incoming connections"

I tried disabling the firewall and connecting to it, which it did, I then re-enabilng the firewall while connected. It continues to work fine until I stop screen sharing and try to connect again. It just will not connect with the firewall on, even with explicit rules to allow. And again, I have the exact same setup on other intel Macs in my environment and all works. It is just this new M1 that will not allow a screen share connection...

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2021 12:34 PM in response to BigJ007

I think I found a solution, although it wasn't my original plan. Connecting the machine (a MacMini in my case) to the network via ethernet allows me to always connect. Seems that the issue may be with screen share over wi-fi rather than the screen share overall.

I had a friend tell me that if you don't connect the MacMini by ethernet you "won't believe in God anymore" 🤣. Looks like he was right.

M1 Screen Share not working as it did for intel Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.