You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting multiple individual clips from timeline

Previously I was able to export all my clips in the timeline as individual clips. This has now stopped working, rather each clip exports as the whole master clip it is from. Very annoying.

What I did was us Smart Collections and choose Used Media. Everything appears, all 100+ clips as individual clips the I go to Share it shows exporting 100+ clips, Export Master and the export window opens up and says total export is 600GB, I rollover that and it tells me the true size of each clip 10Mb each, Some place the math is wrong. But then I export and I get the whole clips that the cut clip is from exported. WHY?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 1:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 2:59 AM

As a small addendum: I just tried to replicate this by creating a project using 5 seconds of 45 minute long clip, and exporting from a smart collection like yours. It worked correctly.

I expect that deleting preferences may work.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 16, 2021 2:59 AM in response to Monkeyhanger

As a small addendum: I just tried to replicate this by creating a project using 5 seconds of 45 minute long clip, and exporting from a smart collection like yours. It worked correctly.

I expect that deleting preferences may work.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences.

The application will start in a default state, and open an "Untitled" library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

Feb 16, 2021 2:53 AM in response to Monkeyhanger

Just so I understand: you are exporting from that Smart Collection, right?

The clips in that collection show with the duration used in the timeline, right? And yet they export as the full duration?

I don't know why that would happen. At the moment, I can offer no suggestion other than the default one: delete preferences. That is something we should always do when something is not working right.

I would not give much importance to the export size estimates, they are usually way off. In fact, the file size depends a lot on content. The most compressible the content is, the smaller the file size, but FCP has no way of knowing that a priori, so the estimates are usually way above the actual final size.

Feb 16, 2021 3:44 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Just so I understand: you are exporting from that Smart Collection, right? YES

The clips in that collection show with the duration used in the timeline, right? YES

And yet they export as the full duration? YES and NO

I just did another Export and got a mixed result. The clips cut from one large clip all came as individuals and from another clip all came as the whole large file. There is no rhyme or reason.

Feb 16, 2021 7:00 AM in response to Monkeyhanger

Monkeyhanger wrote:

Did you try multiple clips from the same large file?

I just tried:

• an event with a largish 45 minute file

• a project with two short selections from that file (9 seconds and 12 seconds, more or less)

• a smart collection with Used Media

I selected both clips in the smart collection, exported and everything came out right. I got a 9 second movie and a 12 second movie.

Exporting multiple individual clips from timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.