Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is your screen malfunctioning or broken? You should check if its correlated to the Flexgate problem

Dear Apple users, 

are you experiencing issues with your Macbook Pro screen, such as temporary or permanent malfunctions in terms of e.g. a darkened screen and light spots at its bottom?

You might experience problems as described in Apple's display backlight program, aka the "Flexgate" issue. As stated on the according webpage, Apple acknowledges the malfunction for the following two models:

MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/13-inch-macbook-pro-display-backlight-service

However, already a brief research, including my own case, illustrates that various users of different models to the stated 2016 devices are experiencing the same issues.

One can, for instance, search the hashtag #flexgate on twitter, browse here for Macbook Pro screen problems or browse third party Apple boards. Multiple cases prove that various Macbook Pro users of other models than the above stated ones are experiencing identical symptoms.

Hence, Apple may have made hardware changes on more recent Macbook(s) (Pros), yet it didn't solve the problem. 

I would therefore like to use this thread for all affected users to raise awareness about the issue.

Furthermore I'd like to collect and document cases of the display backlight, aka the "Flexgate" problem from those users, whose models aren't included in Apple's current display backlight service program. It is absolutely important that you state what model you're experiencing the problems with, you remain in a neutral tone and only post with an enclosed proof, e.g. a picture or a video! 

Apple users need to be made more aware about the issue and Apple itself needs to expand its service program.

So I'll make a start: I myself own a Macbook Pro 2018 13" with four Thunderbolt 3 Ports. I bought it in late 2018. I experienced the display backlight issue for the first time a couple of months ago. Now it's getting more frequent. So far, opening and closing the screen or rebooting is solving it. But due to the nature of the issue, it's only a matter of time until the cord will be fully destroyed.

Here's a picture of my experienced symptoms which clearly indicates that my model is indeed a 2018 13"

I'm looking forward to your replies, thank you!

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 1:51 AM

There are no replies.

Is your screen malfunctioning or broken? You should check if its correlated to the Flexgate problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.