Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different lightning cable?

Hello Apple Community! I recently purchased a new lightning cable for my iPad Mini 2, only to find out that the port insert doesn't fit. In the photo my old cable (left) seems to be tapered while the new cable (right) is squared off. I couldn't find any information regarding this different shape anywhere on web. This is the new cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07D9C8NP2#Ask

I don't remember the brand of my old cable. Also, if it helps, the model number of my iPad Mini 2 is A1489.

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 8:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 8:35 PM

You need to look inside of your iPad;'s Lightning port, with a light source, and use something thin, stiff and non-metallic and see if you can clear out any loose pieces of plastic from your old cable connection end that maybe still caught inside of your iPad’s Lightning port that maybe hindering the new cable from being able to be inserted.

Good Luck to You!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 8:35 PM in response to Delsin28

You need to look inside of your iPad;'s Lightning port, with a light source, and use something thin, stiff and non-metallic and see if you can clear out any loose pieces of plastic from your old cable connection end that maybe still caught inside of your iPad’s Lightning port that maybe hindering the new cable from being able to be inserted.

Good Luck to You!

Feb 17, 2021 8:30 PM in response to Delsin28

The Lightnng cable connector end on the left hand cable looks wrong or broken ( no plastic edge boundaries around the metal connector part.

Is it possible part of plastic around the connection end of your old cable connector end broke off and is still stuck inside of the Lightning port of your iPad Mini 2?

It sure looks as if this is what has happened.

A part of the plastic surrounding the metal connection end on the left hand cable looks like it broke off and maybe still lodged inside of your iPad's Lightning port.

This may explain why your new cable does not fit.

Part of the plastic of the old cable is stuck inside of your iPad's Lightning port.

Different lightning cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.