Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move time machine backup to another time capsule hard drive

May be the community can help.

I am facing a problem while moving a time machine backup from a time capsule hard drive to another time capsule hard drive.

OS X: latest Mojave on two Macs, Big Sur on another Mac

Time Capsule OS: 7.9.1 and 7.8.1

1. The hard drive of the new time capsule was erased by using the Airport Utility application.
  2. The new time capsule was connected to a Mac via ethernet cable.
  3. The old time capsule was connected via WLAN.
  4. The sparsebundle file in the data folder of the old time capsule was moved by drag and drop to the data folder of the new time capsule.
  5. The copy process started; time estimated about 2h for about 69 GB.
  6. In the middle of the copy process the following message appeared and the copy process terminated.

I repeated the procedure three times with the same result.

What do I have to setup different ?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 9:29 PM

Yes, the 500 GB TC should be replaced at some point.

I backed up that TC backup by using the archive function and was wondering if that would be another way to copy a time machine backup onto another TC. If that TC would be connected via USB, the source TC should pick it up.

The archived backup is just the sparsebundle files in a folder named Archive.

For now running the music on the Mac Mini is fine; all is within this Apple eco-system: iTunes, remote (iPad, iPhone), iTunes sharing, filling up an iPod. But, yes I have 2 backups of the music files plus the time machine backups.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2021 9:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yes, the 500 GB TC should be replaced at some point.

I backed up that TC backup by using the archive function and was wondering if that would be another way to copy a time machine backup onto another TC. If that TC would be connected via USB, the source TC should pick it up.

The archived backup is just the sparsebundle files in a folder named Archive.

For now running the music on the Mac Mini is fine; all is within this Apple eco-system: iTunes, remote (iPad, iPhone), iTunes sharing, filling up an iPod. But, yes I have 2 backups of the music files plus the time machine backups.

Feb 18, 2021 1:17 AM in response to CAAN

It is taking a while and I don't have answer yet..

Let me show you the setup. Two Gen5 TC setup with ethernet.. Computer with wifi off so using ethernet only.

Setup CCC to new task. Select data partition of the first TC you are using as source.. beneath that you can fine tune the files you are copying.

Select the destination. In my case the second TC.

There is no need to set a schedule since this is a one off.

Click clone down the bottom right.

The backup begins.

It takes a while to start showing actual throughput.. don't worry.

Progress is about 40GByte/Hr. Not fast as this is double copying through the computer from network source to network target.

So far all running well and do not expect any issues.

CCC btw has been very reliable for me and useful for lots of things beyond just backups.

Feb 17, 2021 10:27 PM in response to CAAN

Great question.. it is something we do get asked a bit if not so much lately.

In the past it was relatively easy to move Time Machine Sparsebundles around.

Since Sierra Apple put a lot more security on the backup (ransomware issues) And it became a lot more difficult to copy.

Officially you can archive the Sparsebundle to USB drive using the archive function in the TC via Airport Utility. You need a Mac OS formatted disk of size equal to the TC drive or all the files on the drive.. unfortunately you cannot just select a file. It will archive the whole drive. With the USB drive plugged into your computer it maybe possible to then copy the Sparsebundle to the new TC.. but the other issue that cropped up is the moved sparse bundle then seems to become fragile. It might work for a while then corrupts itself.

Our general instructions therefore changed to start a new backup in the new location. Keep the old backup on USB drive for sometime if needed.. mostly after you have 6-12months of history the chance of needing the old backup history is unlikely.

If you want to have a go.. I would do it from command line using a sudo in front to cover the permissions.

I would also do it using rsync rather than copy command. The commands are no longer sitting in my head.. which is becoming old and large areas of ROM blank out as well as RAM slowing down. As a way to try this without any big hassle figuring out commands why don't you download and install Carbon Copy Cloner which is rsync based. It is free to use for a month and is fully operational.

I will test it myself to see if I get a decent backup doing it and I can show you how if it is successful.

A better setup while copying the file is to plug the old TC into the new TC with ethernet.. do not use wifi. It will work much better with the two TC on ethernet. You will need one TC.. likely your new one setup as router and the old one setup as bridge.

Feb 17, 2021 11:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

Great answer .. thank`s a lot.

I had a similar problem deleting a macOS image from a Mac operating with Big Sur. It won`t let me delete the image.

At the end the Apple hotline guided me through the steps of deactivating the permissions, deleting the image, activating the persissions; by doing this from the command line.

I will wait until you tested the solution you mentioned; but do not put to much time in it.

The alternative is to leave the backups on the old TC and delete them eventually.

Thank`s a lot for your helpful and quick response.

Feb 18, 2021 11:59 AM in response to CAAN

Ok the answer is it worked using drag and drop.

So having the two TC connected together might help.

Just have another try via Finder.

No luck then CCC should work.. but my test included a huge backup and it is not complete yet.. so I will stop it and start over.

Just to get this straight: the first TC is connected to a Mac via ethernet cable and the second TC is connected to the first one via ethernet cable as well, correct ?

Yes.. that is the standard way to do this.

Your first TC is in router mode and the second in Bridge.. although if you get internet via ethernet from another router both can be in bridge mode.

Feb 18, 2021 12:22 PM in response to LaPastenague

Just one more item to note..

CCC was also successful. It is fast, around 60GByte/hr which is excellent for a Time Capsule.

CCC does a check as well so it is double checked.

Do turn off safety net.. I left it on the first time through and that also might have slowed things down.

Safety net is for normal backup to retain versions of files.

I am in Australia so we are opposites.. sorry for delay in reply.

Feb 19, 2021 6:36 AM in response to LaPastenague

I connected the TĆs via ethernet cable and one TC via ethernet as well with a Mac Mini. WiFi on that Mac was off.

Unfortunately it was a problem to connect to the TC hard drives. It took very long to get a response from the TĆs and then the login failed; for both: CCC and the finder.

Eventually I made it work by using the finder, the copy process started, but was interrupted after about 30 min and 40 GB transfered. The message was sort of: connection interrupted.

It seemed to work better after disconnecting the the one TC from the internet. But I do not understand why it was not working as expected.

So I followed your first advice and started on the new TC with new backups and will deleted the ones on the old TC later. Also I backuped 1 TB of music on the 2 TB TC; that took about 14 h. All backups were done via ethernet cable.

Just to give you the bigger picture of what I decided to do.

2 Macbook Air (the ones with Magsafe connector) with 128 GB each

1 Mac Mini Server with a 500 GB hard drive and the second internal hard drive with 1 TB keeping all music.

1 TC with 2 TB

1 TC with 500 GB

As is: both Macbook Air were backuped on the 2 TB TC; the Mac Mini 500 GB as well

As is as of now: both Macbook Air backing up on the 500 GB TC; the Mac Mini backing up both hard drives on the 2 TC.

The 500 GB TC was not in use for a while, now it is again.

In the past the 1 TB of music was backuped on separat hard drives.

So I got use for the older TC again and have my music backed up automatically.

Thank you for your support and insights.

Best wishes from Berlin to Australia.

Feb 19, 2021 11:07 AM in response to CAAN

Glad you worked out a way to do it.

A 500GB TC is very extremely old and should be considered not long for this world (without major work).

Sorry the ethernet connection between the two did not work.. it should have.. as long as you have one as router and one as bridged.. it is fairly easy to do.. but it might take a reset of one TC..

Anyway I think using new backups is well worth the effort.. and in a few months.. delete the old backups is fine.

1TB of music.. wow.. I would make sure you still have a separate backup of this on another disk.. just for the ease of mind.

At some point you should think about using a NAS. Far better as central storage for your files.

Feb 20, 2021 10:26 PM in response to CAAN

If that TC would be connected via USB

A TC cannot be connected by USB to a computer or another TC.

You are not the first to have thought of it.. nor will you be the last..

But the TC is network device.. Files can only be copied to it over ethernet or wifi.

USB attached disk cannot copy files back to the TC directly.. Most NAS offer this sort of function but Apple made no provision for such a connection. It would have to be part of the Airport Utility..

It is possible if you do some nifty work on your TC to gain SSH access.

See the first part of my web page about changing country.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modems/apple-time-capsule-repair/change-country-on-airport-router

You will need to use command prompt of course.. how are your linux/bsd muscles..

You can plug the archive USB drive to either of your TC and access the backup over the network.. but it is hugely faster to use the USB drive plugged directly to your computer.. !!

Feb 21, 2021 7:56 AM in response to LaPastenague

Well, now I should be well prepared for upcoming operational TC tasks, thank you.

One question came up in my mind: how to restore the archived sparsebundles, which are basically a copy of what is stored on the TC, back to a TC ?

I could not find a command in Airport Utility.

Or would that show up only if a hard drive with archived files is connected ?

I did not try that.

PS: my music library consist of mostly of AIFF files, but it is still pretty big.

Feb 21, 2021 10:40 AM in response to CAAN

To copy the archive back to a TC from USB use the same method as above .. but this time plug the USB into your computer. I would still recommend using command line or an App like CCC.

Seldom would you want to do this.. because the archive is by its nature older files.. it is better to hold it on the USB for a suitable length of time and then wipe your USB and archive the newer back bundle from the TC to the USB.

I could not find a command in Airport Utility.

It is not intended that you ever restore archive back to a TC.. Apple did not include it.

Apple never intended the TC as a NAS.. it is really the simplest type of device they could come up with for network target when using Time Machine on laptops. Stretching it to do more results in tears as people have literally lost their iTunes library when the TC disk failed. And worse.. because they tried to use it as a storage device.

Move time machine backup to another time capsule hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.