Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running Apple Service Diagnostic from USB boot thumb drive

Hi Apple Community,

I have a mac pro 3,1 I am not yet ready to consign to the dump as it is clean and runs well except for the frequently reported black screen crash and fans on full problem - after anything between two minutes and 2hrs or so (record recently is 2:45hrs)

I intend to use the ASD-3S123 (Apple Service Diagnostic tool specifically for the Mac Pro 3,1 - which I have created on a bootable USB with the suggested EFI and OS boot partitions) using the helpful advice here https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/apple-service-diagnostics-mac/ - and verified from other qualified sources keen to assist whilst we are in lockdown due to Covid restrictions.

(somehow it doesn't feel right to jump in the car for a two hour drive to a different area to hand it over to a service technician and put others at risk right now, and fortunately others seem to agree and have been very helpful - some things are more important than fixing a Mac!).

So, I want to more thoroughly diagnose (what I suspect to possibly be) a logic board / logic board component issue(s). I have followed all other routes of troubleshooting including trying a known good replacement PSU.

Buy my issue currently is that it appears I cannot get the Mac Pro 3,1 to boot from that USB

(this is made trickier by the fact that the GT 9500 GPU is not flashed so I get no bootpicker screen, and am therefore 'driving blind'). I tried removing all other drives from the Mac so that the usb stick is the only option but no amount of L/R arrow and pressing return key seems to get it to go into the ASD (or if it does, then the graphics card is not able to display graphics whilst in this mode - I guess because no KEXT exists on the bootable ASD drive for it?).

N.B. I have verified that I can boot from this USB drive on other macs (although of course it would be the wrong set of ASD tools for those other machines)

Any ideas ?

Does anyone know what order the EFI and OS partitions present in (on the bootpicker screen for selection) - I think I need to boot the EFI partition ?

thanks

Andrew

Mac Pro

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 7:36 AM

You need a graphics card that supports boot screens.

Boot screens are the screens that show BEFORE the accelerated graphics driver loads:

Alt-Boot, "boot picker"

Recovery

diagnostics

Safe mode

without that, you can not tell whether you can boot from a diagnostics USB stick of any description, and you cannot tell whether it tried to send you any error messages.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 7:36 AM in response to Andrew Beardsmore

You need a graphics card that supports boot screens.

Boot screens are the screens that show BEFORE the accelerated graphics driver loads:

Alt-Boot, "boot picker"

Recovery

diagnostics

Safe mode

without that, you can not tell whether you can boot from a diagnostics USB stick of any description, and you cannot tell whether it tried to send you any error messages.

Feb 18, 2021 10:28 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant,

I understand that, but frequently it is possible to blind guess how many right arrow presses to the boot pick a screen will get you to the relevant start-up disc in this case the USB drive and then you can proceed from there. But what I’m assuming is that without an EFIGPU I won’t be able to see the results or evenIn fact the actual test screen displayed

Feb 21, 2021 4:36 AM in response to Andrew Beardsmore

FURTHER INFO -

Grant has kindly followed my process with this Mac over another thread for some time, making many useful suggestions, and here he has pointed out the need for a Mac EFI GPU to proceed any further with the ASD (which given it will probably be a logic board swap out that will be needed, would take this repair way over budget or the real world worth of the machine).

So I had decided to strip the machine and list the known good components on eBAY to assist with others rebuilding 3,1s.

BUT ... I booted up the Mac Pro 3,1 and got distracted & busy on Friday - I have just noticed it has remained at the login screen powered up (no crashing / fan noise /black screen etc) for three days with no issues .... if it WAS a logic board issue is there ANY reason why my not having logged in to my user account would have prevented it from crashing?

Thank you everyone on both threads for all your help so far; desperate not to have to strip for parts and eBay this very clean and previously dependable workhorse even though I have a 5,1 now ....

Any last thoughts?

cheers

Andrew

Running Apple Service Diagnostic from USB boot thumb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.