Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File SaveAs location problem

I just bought a new MacBook Pro, have the latest version of Big Sur. I don't know if this is a MS Office Problem or a MacOS problem. When I try to SaveAs a document and pick the folder to save it in, the file ends up in my root user directory. I have to now move it where it needs to go.

In my previous mac with the same version of office (2019), I did not have this problem. which leads me to believe when the migration happened and the setup process did it's work, somehow my default save location takes every file I want to save, and puts it there even if I select a new location.

Has anyone had this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 4:44 AM

Nope. Maybe if I try clearing the recently accessed folders.

I just did that from the finder menu, and it seems to have worked.

I opened a file from that folder, did save as, and the other files in the folder appeared. I saved it, and voila it's in the right place. I think the issue is solved.

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 18, 2021 8:10 AM in response to majormike72

Confirm what you mean by "root user directory."

Do you mean it actually goes into the root user's home or it goes into the root level of your home directory?

Are you in List View when you select a location? If so, it should open the selected folder and then need to click Save again.

In List View, the target is the top level folder, even if you have a subfolder disclosed and selected. The dialog box should go into that selected subdirectory and essentially request you click Save again.

If it is not doing the reload of the selected subfolder, it is just saving into the top-level folder.

I can't replicate your problem, though.

I'm using Office 2019.

File SaveAs location problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.