Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I get iOS 13 on my iPad?

Why can’t I update to iOS 13 on my IPad?

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 4:57 PM

No device can get iOS 13 any longer. Older devices will be limited to iOS 12 or earlier. And anything current enough to even run iOS 13 can run iOS 14, so the only update for those devices would be 14.4.

The iOS update system only ever offers the most current release compatible with your detected hardware. If your device is running iOS 12 and says it it up to date, then it cannot run iOS 14. And since it cannot run iOS 14, it couldn’t run iOS 13 even if Apple’s update system still even distributed it, hence no further options to update.

But iOS 13 is not available for any device as no device reached its update limit with 13. So it is not even available to any device at this point - it’s a terminated release at this point.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 4:57 PM in response to NXNW1955

No device can get iOS 13 any longer. Older devices will be limited to iOS 12 or earlier. And anything current enough to even run iOS 13 can run iOS 14, so the only update for those devices would be 14.4.

The iOS update system only ever offers the most current release compatible with your detected hardware. If your device is running iOS 12 and says it it up to date, then it cannot run iOS 14. And since it cannot run iOS 14, it couldn’t run iOS 13 even if Apple’s update system still even distributed it, hence no further options to update.

But iOS 13 is not available for any device as no device reached its update limit with 13. So it is not even available to any device at this point - it’s a terminated release at this point.

Feb 20, 2021 4:45 PM in response to NXNW1955

NXNW1955 wrote:

I understand your response, and thank you. But why would Chase.com require my IPad has iOS 13 for me to continue using their app? I have iOS 12.5 and can no longer access my bank accounts . Any suggestions?

It would appear then that Chase has dropped support for their older versions of their app that work on older versions of iOS. It is up to App developers to decide which versions if their app they wish to support and continue to distribute.

You will have to use their web site to access your account if they don’t have a version of their App for anything but (now) iOS 14.

Why can’t I get iOS 13 on my iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.