Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot re-install deleted app because App Store thinks it is still installed

I cannot re-download a deleted app because App Store detects it is still installed. I have restarted my iPhone 7s after deleting the app and before entering the App Store to re-download the app. There is still a white icon of the app, even though I have deleted it and restarted the phone again and again. In App Store there is only "Open" button instead of the "download" button. I have pressed the "Open" button but still cannot open or download the app. Please help me.

iPhone 7 Plus, 14

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 9:33 AM

Go to settings>general>iPhone storage>select the app>select delete

[If you do not see the delete option go to settings>Screen Time>content & privacy restrictions>iTunes & App Store purchases>delete app - change to allow. ]

After you delete it force reboot your device - Force reboot device - Apple Support

Additional support links

How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Get Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 9:33 AM in response to chikinnuggets

Go to settings>general>iPhone storage>select the app>select delete

[If you do not see the delete option go to settings>Screen Time>content & privacy restrictions>iTunes & App Store purchases>delete app - change to allow. ]

After you delete it force reboot your device - Force reboot device - Apple Support

Additional support links

How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Get Support

Mar 15, 2021 3:02 AM in response to askbarnabas

Thank you very much for all your help. I was going to follow your last advice to reset everything. I was doing backups and getting ready for it.

Suddenly there is an update for the app today. I updated it and kept my fingers crossed. After the update, I opened the app and it was succesful! Now I can use it again. Just glad that I don't have to reset everything back from zero.

FYI I did not delete the white icon of the app after the phone's last force reboot. I don't know if that actually helps for the update. Maybe this info can be useful to others next time.

Feb 19, 2021 9:28 PM in response to askbarnabas

Thank you for your reply.

I have already looked for the app in Settings>General>Iphone Storage, but the app name is not there and so I cannot delete it.

I have checked Settings>Screen Time> Content & privacy restrictions>iTunes & App Store purchases>Delete app and it is already "Allow".

I have force reboot my phone multiple times too. Each time I force reboot, the white icon of the app reappears.

Do you have any other solutions?

Could this be a bug from iOS or the app itself?

Cannot re-install deleted app because App Store thinks it is still installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.