Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 heat up during fast charging

When I charge my iPhone 12 with 20W fast charger while using it, it heats up particularly during 20% to 80%

Is this normal or the charger is problematic? The 5W charger doesn’t heat up the phone while I use it during charging

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 8:18 AM

Your iPhone 12 is designed and built for fast charging. That is the reason Appel recommends charging with the 20W charger along with the cable that the iPhone 12 is shipped with. Your iPhone will feel warm to the touch when charging at faster speeds. This is normal. Ensure that the iPhone is only getting warm but not too hot to touch.

The 5W charger charges with 1amp and the chemical reaction within the battery is at a much slower pace and therefore very little heat generated. This too is normal.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 8:18 AM in response to KamranQuraishi

Your iPhone 12 is designed and built for fast charging. That is the reason Appel recommends charging with the 20W charger along with the cable that the iPhone 12 is shipped with. Your iPhone will feel warm to the touch when charging at faster speeds. This is normal. Ensure that the iPhone is only getting warm but not too hot to touch.

The 5W charger charges with 1amp and the chemical reaction within the battery is at a much slower pace and therefore very little heat generated. This too is normal.

Axel F.

iPhone 12 heat up during fast charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.