Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2014 NVME upgrade

Hello people, I just got this 27 5K Imac Late 2014 I5, (D2***Y14) And i would love to buy the NVME Samsung 980 Pro, but im not sure if this computer have the NVME slot ready on the motherboard. When i check on System Report/ NVMExpress tab, i got this message...(This computer doesn’t contain any NVMExpress devices. If you installed NVMExpress devices, make sure they are connected properly and powered on.)

Also the computer run with no Fusion Drive, just SSD, and that's why i dont know if there is the NVME slot ready for Upgrade.... HELP!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 9:58 AM

A standard M.2 SSD will not work in a Mac without the use of a third party Sintech adapter. Keep in mind Samsung will not provide any support for you when their NVMe SSD is installed into an iMac (nor will Apple). OWC provides a drop in replacement NVMe SSD which is fully supported by OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-27-inch/2013-2019

Plus you need to make sure the iMac's firmware is up to date so it can communicate with an NVMe SSD. You will only be able to use macOS 10.13+ on this iMac when used with an NVMe SSD.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2021 9:58 AM in response to IMAC1TB

A standard M.2 SSD will not work in a Mac without the use of a third party Sintech adapter. Keep in mind Samsung will not provide any support for you when their NVMe SSD is installed into an iMac (nor will Apple). OWC provides a drop in replacement NVMe SSD which is fully supported by OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/imac-27-inch/2013-2019

Plus you need to make sure the iMac's firmware is up to date so it can communicate with an NVMe SSD. You will only be able to use macOS 10.13+ on this iMac when used with an NVMe SSD.

Feb 23, 2021 12:31 AM in response to IMAC1TB

Here is a video that shows the painstaking steps necessary to install a PCIe SSD into a Late 2014 iMac. You have to completely disassemble the iMac and with each step in this process, you risk causing damage that will cost more than you paid for the iMac to repair.

The challenge will be to find an external PCIe drive enclosure now that doesn't require TB3 or USB-C cables and can connect to your USB-3 ports on that iMac. One option that is slower than the Samsung 980, but just plugs into your iMac USB-3 port is the OWC Envoy Pro Electron, which also comes with a USB-A adapter cable. Had you held out for a 2017 iMac, you would have had TB3 ports and other performance options.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

iMac late 2014 NVME upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.