You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off App Store notifications

Today I received a notification from the App Store on all my devices that I can now share an application with my family. I don't care about that, nor do I want to have to address and dismiss these notifications on multiple devices. I seem to be able to turn off notifications for just about anything else, but can't find a way to do it for the App Store. Is there a terminal command or something to that I effect that I can run to turn these things off?

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 7:51 PM

10 replies

Mar 1, 2021 9:30 PM in response to Zardoz_79

Hey again!

I don’t have all the details, but it sounds like iCloud purchase sharing, which settings can be adjusted:

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/stop-sharing-purchases-iphac405cfd6/ios

You mentioned in the original post it was notifications for the App Store. So when you go to System Preferences > Notifications, does this app not show up to stop notifications?

I could be wrong, but since it’s showing on all your devices, it does sound like a purchase sharing notification, and which you can edit in iCloud/Apple ID settings on all devices.

Is this the only application prompting you to share?

It so, possibly within the app itself, “Transit” (I’ve never used) on the top menu, if you click Transit > Preferences (if there), are there any settings you can adjust directly in the app?

I was able to find a support page for the app, not sure if it would help, but hope it does:

https://help.transit.app/category/82-customize-transit

Feb 19, 2021 9:33 PM in response to Zardoz_79

Hey there!

if this was only happening on your Mac, you may be able to use Terminal, but since this is happening on all your devices, I’m inclined to think it may have to do with Family Sharing and Purchase Sharing.

Does this only happen with apps once installed? And when exactly does the notification show up?

Can you confirm that you have either enabled in either:

System Preferences > Family Sharing.

OR:

Settings > Apple ID > Family Sharing?

Feb 28, 2021 11:36 AM in response to DiZoE

I'm having the same challenge. My goal is to turn off App Store notifications entirely. I have turned off "Automatic Updates" unchecked in the Preferences for the App Store as well as under Software Updates Advanced feature settings yet I still receive pop-up notifications in the upper right corner. If this could be solved that would be amazing. Thanks in advanced!

Feb 28, 2021 10:16 PM in response to Joeactive

Hey there!

Are these notifications for normal OS updates? Or for an OS upgrade, (E.g. from Catalina to Big Sur)? Apologize, I forget what OS this thread was on.

I wouldn’t recommend ignoring important updates, as many times they are for security and bug fixes, but understand why you’d want to, so if so this should work, just remember if and when you’re ready to do an update, you have to tell your Mac to do so, likewise, when using sudo to make changes, keep a backup of your data. (Although I’ve never had an issue with this, not everyone’s set up is the same):

If it’s just stopping OS software update prompts, I believe even in Bug Sur this would still work:

Open Terminal in Finder > Applications > Utilities.

Enter this command and press Return afterwards:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore

I believe if you wanted to ignore a full OS upgrade, (To Big Sur for example), you’d run, instead:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Big Sur”

If and when prompted, enter your Admin password, (Note, you will not see anything show up when typing in Terminal, but you can press Return after entering the command).

And likewise, if and when you wanted to reset those changes, you can run:

sudo softwareupdate --reset-ignored

Hope that helps!

Mar 7, 2021 9:23 PM in response to Joeactive

Hey again! Although the two notifications are different. If those didn’t work for the OS, then I suspect the security (SIP) etc. prevents it now.

I don’t know of any other way, and have never used other methods, (Other than when they were available in an interface). But there are online resources such as:

https://appletld.com/how-to-disable-macos-update-notifications/

(Among others)

Although I cant vouch for the instructions or results of them, as I’ve never used this method, if you really need to, can give it a try, it appears the command may relocate this OS bundle to another location, just make sure to do a backup before hand. Hope all goes well!

Turn off App Store notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.