Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manage mysql database from another mac

I have two Macminis on the same private network : MMM and NNN.

The database is on MMM

I want to manage this DB using NNN.

What should be done to connect them and then, using phpMyAdmin, make operations on the DB?

NNN runs Mojave 10.14.6 and MMM runs El Capitan 10.11.6

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Cheers!

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 5:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 4:07 AM

Yesterday evening (I'm located in Montreal), I found my own working solution.

My two Macs well connected (i.e. for example I can see on the NNN Desktop the startup disk of MMM and navigate into it) I was unable to use MMM phpMyAdmin. This was my problem.

Solution (which I found by chance while attempting different addresses):

In my NNN browser, I enter the following address <mmm.local/phpmyadmin/index.php>

The familiar interface of phpMyAdmin appears, I enter my usual username and password and click "Go".

And it works...

:-)

Thank you everybody for helping me!

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 22, 2021 4:07 AM in response to a brody

Yesterday evening (I'm located in Montreal), I found my own working solution.

My two Macs well connected (i.e. for example I can see on the NNN Desktop the startup disk of MMM and navigate into it) I was unable to use MMM phpMyAdmin. This was my problem.

Solution (which I found by chance while attempting different addresses):

In my NNN browser, I enter the following address <mmm.local/phpmyadmin/index.php>

The familiar interface of phpMyAdmin appears, I enter my usual username and password and click "Go".

And it works...

:-)

Thank you everybody for helping me!

Feb 21, 2021 12:14 PM in response to tryphonofgerry

This is high level knowledge of the terminal that is required and could very well open you to security issues since MySQL frequently asks for admin privileges to access databases. Backup your data before enabling any such features.

MySQL on the Mac with PHPMyAdmin is discussed at length here:

https://www.javatpoint.com/how-to-install-phpmyadmin-on-mac

Feb 21, 2021 12:33 PM in response to a brody

Thank you for your reply and for the warnings!

But your link is useless for me because I built a site hosted on a Mac (MMM) of my own since 2004 ...

It works with PHP and MySQL DB.

Therefore I have no problem to use phpMyAdmin.

The problem is, as I previously stated, how can I remotely manage this site from another Mac (NNN)?

I tried to establish communications between NNN and MMM using MySQL Workbench but it didn't work due to a lack of explanations...

Thanks anyway!

Feb 21, 2021 12:50 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you for replying BobTheFisherman!

Apache/mysql/php server are permanently running on MMM as my web site is active.

Both Macs are on the same WiFi network which is provided by an Airport Extreme tower.

The Airport Extreme is connected to the Internet via an Ethernet connected ADSL modem (which acts as a bridge).

Connection using 192.168.0.x doesn't work as it is used as the modem address.

But the modem used as a bridge is invisible from both Macs because of Airport Extreme which is "the Boss"! :-)

I really need help in using MySQL Workbench to establish the communication between my two Macs...

Feb 21, 2021 4:24 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Remote Management may be possible if Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login and Remote management are on. This works as long as the Macs are on the same network. To remote into another Mac, use:

Hard drive -> System -> Library -> CoreServices -> Applications -> Screen Sharing.

Drag and drop file sharing with the remote Mac is supported.

manage mysql database from another mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.