Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Apple Wallet on my new MacBook Air (with touch ID) WITHOUT touching my iPhone??!

Can I use Apple Wallet on my new MacBook Air (with touch ID) WITHOUT touching my iPhone??!

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 5:03 PM

6 replies

Feb 23, 2021 11:32 AM in response to PRP_53

I see. And there is nothing wrong with having to use 2 devices in order to make a Wallet purchase from one's laptop. I just wish Apple had made that clear to me. It seems I've wasted about 2 hours trying to do the impossible. It seems strange to me, since both devices use my fingerprint, that I can't use one of these devices by itself to make a Wallet purchase, while I can use the other! 

And what bothers me the most is Apple's consistently poor menu descriptions and instructions. It's almost bizarre to me, because I have a masters degree in English, so I'm definitely some kind of "expert" at understanding English, plus I'm really good at using an understanding software. At the 900-employee manufacturing company I retired from five years ago as a tech writer, I was the go-to guy for the whole company for help with understanding software features and being able to easily show others how to use their software more effectively and efficiently. I've designed webpages for 25 years. And yet Apple instructions flummox me frequently, especially when it comes to the Cloud.

One of the big draws of Apple was it's simplicity, which is why I dumped Windows 20 years ago, even though at work I was also a Windows IT guy. But Apple has gotten increasingly difficult even for the most intelligent people to use. 

That was a good idea to check out my Language and Region settings. They are all as they should be. I even added UK English, then deleted US English and made UK English my default, restarted, added US English, deleted UK English, making US English my default, and still my Oxford English US dictionary is lost. See 2 screenshots below. It's interesting that even though my wife has the exact same version of Dictionary.app as I do, it displays a Preference window with 2 panes, the lower pane allowing choice of default language, while even when I ran it on my machine, it only displays 1 pane. We're both using Big Sur 11.2.1.

Feb 22, 2021 9:42 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you very much for your quick reply. The material you linked me to doesn't solve my problem. My Mac works just find for Apple Pay on-line purchases, but it requires me to touch the touch ID on my iPhone to complete the purchase. What I'm trying to do is get my iPhone out of the picture. Why can't I use the touch ID on my Mac to complete a purchase on my Mac? I'm forced to use the touch ID on my phone to complete the purchase, even when my phone is turned off.

Feb 23, 2021 7:49 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you. I think you might have the answer. I have been very careful NOT to enable 2FA. But since I have my MBA's Wallet set up with my credit card (I even deleted it and re-established it there), I would think that I could use my touch ID to make a purchase. What if I didn't even HAVE a second device? Then how could I set up 2FA?

Also, with my old MacBook I was having some problems with Big Sur, but with my brand new MBA 2020 with M1 chip, I'm even having one. the most bothersome is that my Oxford American English dictionary stoped working. I can set it in my Dictionary.app Preferences, but I get no results for any word I look up. I can set ANY of the other many dictionaries, including the Oxford UK dictionary, and they work perfectly. My wife's 3-year-old MacBook Pro, running the latest Big Sur has no problem with this dictionary. We're both using the exact same version of Dictionary.app. Others with this problem have reinstalled the OS to no avail, and I really don't want to do that. I'm hoping that the next Big Sur update will handle this.

Another big problem is that Spotlight no longer catalogs .RTF files. I've had to save-as my .RTF files to RTFD, and then Spotlight catalogs them perfectly. This happens on all Macs, not just my new MBA.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.