Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie

I need to download iMovie. I deleted it a long time ago, probably 5 years ago, because I never used it, but now I need it back. When I click download from the purchases section in the app, nothing happens. When I search for iMovie within the app, I can click "accept" and put in my Apple ID password, but then again, nothing happens. How can I solve this?

Side note; Why is the categories section removed from app store? I only have featured, top charts, purchased and updates

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 20, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 7:48 AM

Take a look at this Apple bulletin to make sure that your MacAir satisfies the requirements for upgrading the OS.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

In the App store main menu, click on Store and then click on Categories from the drop down menu.   Do your categories then display?  I recall that sometime back, could have been with Sierra, the App store changed its site graphics. design.  

If you ever had iMovie 10 on your computer, even if you deleted it years ago, you still should be able to use the procedure I

previously posted to update and redownload the most current iMovie 10 version that your operating system will run.   I don't think that you can update from iMovie 9.

As for update notifications, have you tried to go to Apple Logo/About this Mac/Software Updates/Advanced and select the box that says Check for Updates?  Try that and see if you get any update notifications.

If nothing seems to be solving your issue, try contacting Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  Tocontact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 7:48 AM in response to imaalin

Take a look at this Apple bulletin to make sure that your MacAir satisfies the requirements for upgrading the OS.  

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

In the App store main menu, click on Store and then click on Categories from the drop down menu.   Do your categories then display?  I recall that sometime back, could have been with Sierra, the App store changed its site graphics. design.  

If you ever had iMovie 10 on your computer, even if you deleted it years ago, you still should be able to use the procedure I

previously posted to update and redownload the most current iMovie 10 version that your operating system will run.   I don't think that you can update from iMovie 9.

As for update notifications, have you tried to go to Apple Logo/About this Mac/Software Updates/Advanced and select the box that says Check for Updates?  Try that and see if you get any update notifications.

If nothing seems to be solving your issue, try contacting Apple Support.  The techs there have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here.  Tocontact apple support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen.  Navigate to a place where you can enter your phone number.

-- Rich

Feb 20, 2021 8:34 PM in response to Rich839

Like I said, I haven't had the iMovie app installed for years. I can see the app within my "purchased" category, but it just won't install. I click install and nothing happens.

When it comes to app store, my app store looks like this; and the categories button used to be right there. Been gone for about a year, and everything on my mac is kept up to date

Feb 20, 2021 8:10 PM in response to imaalin

Hi, imaalin,

Try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. (You can skip that step if you had iMovie 10 on your computer before, but deleted it.) Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash (if you moved it there) and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

Feb 20, 2021 8:44 PM in response to imaalin

It seems like it's not up to date after all, so that might be the problem. I don't get any options to upate my mac whatsoever, so I'm stuck on High Sierra, apparently. Don't understand why it doesn't show me any options to update, but I guess that's the problem that causes my issues with both app store categories and iMovie

iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.