Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change the password on the "Safari is locked" pop up page to access the passwords

I recently got a message saying one or more of my passwords that were stored in safari manager was compromised. I would like to change the password I use to enter the list of passwords stored and can find no way to do that. Help.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 9:12 AM

Phurba108 Said:

"How to change the password on the "Safari is locked" pop up page to access the passwords I recently got a message saying one or more of my passwords that were stored in safari manager was compromised. I would like to change the password I use to enter the list of passwords stored and can find no way to do that. Help."

-------

What to Try:

I. Use MalwareBytes for Mac:

It Seems that malware/adware may be installed. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software 

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

II. Create a New Administrator User:

Are you logged in as an Administrator? Create a new Administrator user, and see if this still occurs while you are logged into a different Administrator user. If not, then it is something configured in your current user. So, from there, delete the current user and then just use this new administrator account. You would move all of your files over to it. See if that fixes it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Phurba108

Phurba108 Said:

"How to change the password on the "Safari is locked" pop up page to access the passwords I recently got a message saying one or more of my passwords that were stored in safari manager was compromised. I would like to change the password I use to enter the list of passwords stored and can find no way to do that. Help."

-------

What to Try:

I. Use MalwareBytes for Mac:

It Seems that malware/adware may be installed. So, scan with it and then remove what is found. Once removed, uninstall MalwareBytes for Mac. Then restart the Mac. It is created by longtime users of these forums. So, that is why it is the only way to go about securing your Mac, when it comes through use of software 

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes uninstaller

II. Create a New Administrator User:

Are you logged in as an Administrator? Create a new Administrator user, and see if this still occurs while you are logged into a different Administrator user. If not, then it is something configured in your current user. So, from there, delete the current user and then just use this new administrator account. You would move all of your files over to it. See if that fixes it.

Feb 27, 2021 1:33 PM in response to Phurba108

Thank you. Installing the Malware did make the pop-up go away. I will do the next steps, changing admin. and see what happens. What do you think in general of saved passwords, this experience made me more nervous about something I have had an intuitive negative feeling about, but not based on any facts.

Chris C.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Feb 27, 2021 3:19 PM in response to Phurba108

Phurba108 Said:

"How to change the password on the "Safari is locked" pop up page to access the passwords: Thank you. Installing the Malware did make the pop-up go away. I will do the next steps, changing admin. and see what happens. What do you think in general of saved passwords, this experience made me more nervous about something I have had an intuitive negative feeling about, but not based on any facts."

------

You are welcome.

Malwarebytes:

It's Malwarebytes you installed (not the malware). So, just Mae\ke note of that. Keep it n your system, and scan with t every-so-often, particularly after installing an app.

No Need for a New Admin:

Changing the Administrator seems of no need, because you have fixed this issues,

Passwords:

If I were you, I'd be cautious of the use of keychains. Don't share the passwords with anyone whomsoever. And use a handwritten, hardcopy of it them down. Store this piece of paper in a location on only you are aware of, and only you have access to.

How to change the password on the "Safari is locked" pop up page to access the passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.