Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I get my text messages back from iCloud without restoring my entire device?

I accidentally deleted all text messages from a family member. I back up messages to iCloud. The only way I see to get them back is to restore my device. Is there no other way?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2021 6:17 PM

Evah1 wrote:

I accidentally deleted all text messages from a family member. I back up messages to iCloud. The only way I see to get them back is to restore my device. Is there no other way?

If you are using messages in iCloud, there is no recovery possible.

Once removed from your device, those deletions are synced and irreversible.

If you are not using Messages in iCloud and those messages are in an iCloud/iTunes backup, they can be restored but not by themselves. You will be going back to that point in time with a restore.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2021 6:17 PM in response to Evah1

Evah1 wrote:

If you are using messages in iCloud, there is no recovery possible.

Once removed from your device, those deletions are synced and irreversible.

If you are not using Messages in iCloud and those messages are in an iCloud/iTunes backup, they can be restored but not by themselves. You will be going back to that point in time with a restore.

Can I get my text messages back from iCloud without restoring my entire device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.