Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 10.6 crash issues

Background

My printer Deskjet 3050 J610 stopped working after installing OS 11, the latest HP software for that printer is for OS 10.8 which won’t install on OS 11. The printer is not on the list for AirPrint and I can’t get HP Smart to print or scan.

The Issue

I have an old Macbook running 10.6 that completely crashed 3 years ago and I was able to resurrect it by formatting the HD numerous times after which I could reinstall OS 10.6 and my legacy software. I found at that time that trying to connect to Wi-Fi caused the OS 10.6 installation to crash, so during set up I had to leave the Wi-Fi unconnected to get success. 

So, due to the issues with the HP printer with OS 11.2.1 on the MacBook Pro I decided to install the HP 10.5 driver on the 12 year old Macbook that has been running OS 10.6 without issues; I use this Mac to run legacy Photoshop and Premier Pro that won’t run on my MacBook Pro running OS 11.2.1.

The installation of the HP driver went well until I forgot and set the connection to Wi-Fi, the computer crashed with a blue screen. I knew that I needed to turn off the Wi-Fi connection for the computer to work. Using the 10.6 install disk I could see the Wi-Fi connection in the menu bar so turned this off, but of course every time I restarted the Wi-Fi connection restarted and disabled the start-up.

I have been unable to start in Safe Mode, Single User Mode, and recovery mode seems not to work for OS 10.6.

After reinstalling OS 10.6 the computer restarted without the option of setting up the Wi-Fi so I was unable to turn Wi-Fi off. The computer rebooted by itself and the Apple logo and the spinning wheel ran for over an hour, so I assumed the Wi-Fi connection was the issue.

I tried reinstalling 10.6 with an ethernet connection to the router but that had the same result. I had thought it may bypass the WI-Fi connection.

I found that the install disk gives me access to the Terminal. I have tried numerous commands in the Terminal to turn off the Wi-Fi, some examples:

networksetup -setairportpower en1 off (en0 in ethernet)

networksetup -setairportpower airport off

sudo networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled Wi-Fi off

sudo networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled airport off

sudo networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled "AirPort" off

networksetup -removepreferredwirelessnetwork en1 SSID_OF_NETWORK

each time these were returned with "command not found"

The option looks like a full formatting of the HD and reinstallation of OS 10.6 and the legacy software like I have done in the past.

Prior to that, I wanted to ask the community if there are any better solutions.

Of course, a new printer may be an option soon.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

MacBook

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 1:24 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 4, 2021 3:58 AM in response to a brody

Hi 'a brody', thank you for taking the time to reply.

HP have since replied that the Deskjet 3050 J610 has no software that will run on OS 11 and HP Smart is not compatible to the Deskjet 3050 J610. Also this printer is not on the list of Air Print compatible printers.

Regarding the old Computer that has OS 10.6.8, it had completely crashed and non of the Safe Mode, Single User Mode, and recovery mode all didn't work. It also seemed non of the Terminal commands to disable the airport which was blocking the computer booting worked either.

Finally, I reformatted the HD twice on the old MacBook 5.1 system, then reinstalled the OS 10.6 and software I needed and reinstalled HP printer driver for OS 10.5 and up. There are some minor issues with the printer - it could be the printer needs a factory reset. This instructions for this from HP cover press a sequence of colour buttons which the Deskjet 3050 J610 doesn't have - so that is still being discussed on the HP forum.

I did look at some open source drivers and the ones recommended where delivered via Google Drive, there was a pop-up saying no virus scans had been made on the software to be downloaded, so I abandoned that avenue.

Mar 4, 2021 8:01 AM in response to a brody

Thank you for the continuing response.

Yes, 'a brody' I clearly understood that solution, and appreciate your replies.

However, with a 100% crashed system on the pre 2009 MacBook running OS 10.6.8 that would not work.

I had actually tried that some time ago with OS 11 to get the printer working on my main MacBook but the list was blank.

OS 10.6 crash issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.