Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i back photos from my computer to an external disk

How can I back the photo library from my Mac computer to an external disk

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 5:38 AM

You can simply copy the Photos library package from your Mac to an external disk. Just make sure the external disk is APFS formatted and is a connected USB drive. DO NOT use a NAS drive as it is not compatible.

Alternatively you can also export all of your photos from Photos into normal folders (these can be stored on a NAS drive).

I actually do both as the JPEG exports are also backed up using an online provider (the Photos library cannot be backed up using an online service like Crashplan).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 5:38 AM in response to MarianaRivas

You can simply copy the Photos library package from your Mac to an external disk. Just make sure the external disk is APFS formatted and is a connected USB drive. DO NOT use a NAS drive as it is not compatible.

Alternatively you can also export all of your photos from Photos into normal folders (these can be stored on a NAS drive).

I actually do both as the JPEG exports are also backed up using an online provider (the Photos library cannot be backed up using an online service like Crashplan).

how can i back photos from my computer to an external disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.