Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase my Hard Drive

Trying to erase my Macintosh HD using Disk Utilities (High Sierra OS) and it won't let me select the "Erase" button in the menu. Suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 10:32 AM

Start up from macOS Recovery

Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R. You may then be asked to select a user you know the password for. Select the user, then click Next and enter their administrator password.

Use Disk Utility to erase your disk

1. From the utilities window in macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility and click Continue.

2. Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility. Don't see Macintosh HD?
  3. Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details:
    • Name: Continue to use Macintosh HD as the name, or enter a different name.
    • Format: Continue to use APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), as recommended by Disk Utility.
  1. Click Erase Volume Group. If you don't see this button, click Erase instead.
  2. If Find My is turned on for this Mac, you may be asked to enter your Apple ID to authorize the erase. Forgot your Apple ID?
  3. After the erase is done, select any other internal volumes that may be listed in the sidebar, then click the delete volume (–) button in the toolbar to delete each volume.
  4. You don't need to delete the Macintosh HD volume you just erased, or any external volumes or disk images. 
  5. Quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window.
  6. If you want to start up again from the disk you erased, you should now reinstall macOS on that disk.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 10:32 AM in response to julianne287

Start up from macOS Recovery

Turn on your Mac, then immediately press and hold these two keys until you see an Apple logo or other image: Command (⌘) and R. You may then be asked to select a user you know the password for. Select the user, then click Next and enter their administrator password.

Use Disk Utility to erase your disk

1. From the utilities window in macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility and click Continue.

2. Select Macintosh HD in the sidebar of Disk Utility. Don't see Macintosh HD?
  3. Click the Erase button in the toolbar, then enter the requested details:
    • Name: Continue to use Macintosh HD as the name, or enter a different name.
    • Format: Continue to use APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled), as recommended by Disk Utility.
  1. Click Erase Volume Group. If you don't see this button, click Erase instead.
  2. If Find My is turned on for this Mac, you may be asked to enter your Apple ID to authorize the erase. Forgot your Apple ID?
  3. After the erase is done, select any other internal volumes that may be listed in the sidebar, then click the delete volume (–) button in the toolbar to delete each volume.
  4. You don't need to delete the Macintosh HD volume you just erased, or any external volumes or disk images. 
  5. Quit Disk Utility to return to the utilities window.
  6. If you want to start up again from the disk you erased, you should now reinstall macOS on that disk.

Erase my Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.