Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Romaji to kana no longer working on my MacBook?

Hello,

I have been learning Japanese for about half a year now, and have found the Romaji keyboard on Mac to be so useful, as the kana keyboard is just an extra thing to learn. However, Romaji has stopped working - it just stays in English characters, and doesn't convert. I still have the live conversion option ticked so I don't understand why it's no longer working.

Also, I can't get it to work on Pages or Microsoft Word despite changing the language on both of them. On Microsoft Word, it just immediately reverts to English (United Kingdom) without me even typing anything!

I suppose I can use a kana table to type, but it takes so much longer. Hoping someone knows why this is happening and can help.

Thank you in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 12:52 PM

ren222 wrote:

Romaji has stopped working - it just stays in English characters, and doesn't convert.

I think you may have mistaken the names of the keyboards. In MacOS, to have your latin text converted to kana or kanji, you normally use the keyboard call Hiragana. The one called Romaji is for unconverted Latin.

(In iOS for some reason the use the name "Romaji" for the one that converts.)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 12:52 PM in response to ren222

ren222 wrote:

Romaji has stopped working - it just stays in English characters, and doesn't convert.

I think you may have mistaken the names of the keyboards. In MacOS, to have your latin text converted to kana or kanji, you normally use the keyboard call Hiragana. The one called Romaji is for unconverted Latin.

(In iOS for some reason the use the name "Romaji" for the one that converts.)

Romaji to kana no longer working on my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.