Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to download Big Sur update

I have a 2017 MacBook Air that currently has macOS Catalina 10.15.7 so it is compatible for the Big Sur software.

However, I been trying since the software update has been released to update my Mac and tries to download for a couple of seconds but every time it states there has been an error.

I have 83GB of storage left and have done bit of a clean up.

My Wifi isn't the fastest so whether it could be that? I haven't ever had any problems though!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 12:32 PM

pilchardcat wrote:
My Wifi isn't the fastest so whether it could be that? I haven't ever had any problems though!

yes, wi-fi can indeed be an issue. even for people that have fast speeds. it's often recommended here to use a wired ethernet connection to download macOS updates/upgrades. the files are rather large and can become corrupted or not complete at all over wi-fi. this is especially true for the installer of big sur. it's transferring WAY MORE data as compared to previous upgrades.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 12:32 PM in response to pilchardcat

pilchardcat wrote:

yes, wi-fi can indeed be an issue. even for people that have fast speeds. it's often recommended here to use a wired ethernet connection to download macOS updates/upgrades. the files are rather large and can become corrupted or not complete at all over wi-fi. this is especially true for the installer of big sur. it's transferring WAY MORE data as compared to previous upgrades.

Feb 22, 2021 12:53 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Try Shut down the Router. Shut down the MBA. Restart the Router. Move MBA as close to router as possible and Startup in Safe Mode - Shift - key right away. Loads slowly - Normal. Disconnect AL other devices using the Wifi - want the Maximum bandwidth for the MBA. Open the Apple Apps Store and commence the download of Big Sur. Once downloaded if it tries to Launch - Command + q - quit. Now, make a Time Machine Backup and if possible copy the New Application in Apps Folder - Install Big Sur to safe External Drive - good to make bootable Installer later.

Now, launch the installer

Unable to download Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.