Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3 life

I’m looking into purchasing the Apple Watch 3, but as it’s an older version (my mom has the 5 and she mentioned that she can’t update it anymore), I’m concerned on its usability life. I’m ok if it doesn’t update, as long as it still syncs to my phone for calendar notifications and reminders. Does anyone know if the 3 will be getting ‘to old’ soon and will no longer sync? Or does it have a good life yet to go? Thank you!

Apple Watch

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2021 2:56 PM

I'm not sure why your mom can't update the watch anymore? She should be able to. What version of iOS is on her iPhone? What version of watchOS is on her watch?

As for your case, the series 3 is still supported by Apple and you should be able to update it (if needed). What version of iOS is on your iPhone? Both Apple Watch Series 5 and Apple Watch Series 3 require an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later.

For how long is anyone's guess, but we can't discuss Apple's future plans (even if we knew them) in this forum. If you are going to buy a used watch (you didn't say), be sure to read this:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

In my opinion, if it is a used watch, battery life may be a more important consideration than future upgrades.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2021 2:56 PM in response to angelagagnon

I'm not sure why your mom can't update the watch anymore? She should be able to. What version of iOS is on her iPhone? What version of watchOS is on her watch?

As for your case, the series 3 is still supported by Apple and you should be able to update it (if needed). What version of iOS is on your iPhone? Both Apple Watch Series 5 and Apple Watch Series 3 require an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later.

For how long is anyone's guess, but we can't discuss Apple's future plans (even if we knew them) in this forum. If you are going to buy a used watch (you didn't say), be sure to read this:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

In my opinion, if it is a used watch, battery life may be a more important consideration than future upgrades.

Apple Watch 3 life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.